Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
Multiple publishes per day
nipper
Just curious how others handle this;
Setting up a dev server. Versioning config files (templates, workflows, *.cfg etc) then workflow. Since we want them initially deployed (to iw-home on the dev server) we will see many deployments per day.
Choices are:
publish & deploy or
file list deploy.
Publish & deploy implies that we may have a bunch of editions cut each day. Even though multiple editions don't use a lot of disk, they still consume i-nodes.
File list means more workflow work and makes rollback harder.
I still think publish & deploy, though we may need to prune old editions now & then.
Any dissenting opinions ? Concurring ?
Andy
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
tvaughan
I had the same decision. For what it's worth, I went with filelist deployments for day-to-day things, and cut editions and did deployments off those editions for the "big things." Kind of a hybrid between the two.
Not sure what you mean when you associated file-list deployments with "more workflows" . . .
Tom
MattP
You can do your deployments out of staging, then you don't need to publish every time you deploy, you only need to submit the files. Maybe programaticaly set up a publish every morning and/or eve but still be able to do multiple publishes throughout the day.
I would be interested to hear how this goes. I would really like to build that functionality in our environment!
Matt
Matthew Petitjean
BOC Group
Murray Hill, NJ 07974 USA
birogod
For what its worth, we use multiple publish / deploy (from a custom menu item). This leads to about 10 editions being cut a day....and works for us with no problems and the advantage that it is easy to go back and see exactly how the site looked at a given time.
Gregg Faus
I've implemented similar functionality by:
1) Creating a schuduled job which publishes the staging area
2) Deploy this edition through the scheduling interface in OpenDeploy.
This was very easy to do.