Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
Trigerring workflows within workflows
Maninder_IBM
Does anyone know how to trigger a workflow from within a workflow?
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
Michael
You may find the documentation on the task type "Nested Workflow Job" helpful.
Cheers
Michael
Maninder_IBM
Which documentation Michael? Done a search on here don't get anything.
Migrateduser
If you are a customer of Interwoven's, you should have access to the support site and therefore all the TeamSite documentation. If you are trying to create workflows, especially nested workflows, without any documentation, you are in for some fun times. Mind if I call you ****_IBM?
Dave Smith
Sr. Software Engineer
Nike, Inc.
(503) 671-4238
DavidH.Smith@nike.com
Michael
In particular I was referring to "TeamSite® Workflow Developers Guide".
Best of luck.... sigh
Cheers
Michael
Migrateduser
Our manuals are on visible and downloadable on our support site. if you have a maintenance contract you have access to support. If you need to purchase an additional user access to the site you can do this for a small fee. Check out this link for more information on support contracts:
https://support.interwoven.com/contacts/customer.asp
Here is the link to the browsable version of the WF developer guide -
https://support.interwoven.com/library/manuals/teamsite/html/552/ts.552.wf/index.html
regards,
lissa
Maninder_IBM
can anyone see what is wrong with this? has anyone done this before?
<wftask name="DeployWorkflow" owner="SYSTEM" description="Run deploy workflow">
<areavpath v="__TAG__('iw_workarea');"/>
<successors>
<successorset description="Done">`
<succ v="End"/>
</successorset>
</successors>
<jobfile v="__INSERT__("$iwhome")\\local\\config\\wft\\default\\direct_filelist_Portal_deploy.xml");"/>
</wftask>
Michael
Try:
<jobfile v="__INSERT__("$iwhome");\\local\\config\\wft\\default\\direct_filelist_Portal_deploy.xml"/>
Looked like your semi-colon and quotes were in the wrong place.
Hope this helps.
Cheers
Michael
Adam Stoller
<jobfile v="__INSERT__("$iwhome")\\local\\config\\wft\\default\\direct_filelist_Portal_deploy.xml");"/>
The doubly-nested double-quotes is probably messing things up - and you could probably simplify things and do:
<jobfile v=
'
__INSERT__("$iwhome
/local/config/wft/default/direct_filelist_Portal_deploy.xml");'
/>
--fish
(Interwoven Senior Technical Consultant)
Maninder_IBM
How is the xml file created?
At the moment I have a workflow that runs fine stand alone but I want to run it at the end of another workflow.
How do I convert this wft file to xml?
anyone have an example?
Maninder_IBM
Woohoo... so I got my workflow to run within a workflow... but I had to authorise the nested job to contnue. Anyone know how I can do this as one job without any user intervention?
Adam Stoller
What do you mean by "authorise"?
According to the manual (emphasis added):
Workflow tasks can be defined within the wftask element either with a path to a job specification file or to a workflow template file. In the case of a job specification file, upon activation of the workflow task, TeamSite compiles and instantiates a new job using the specification file. In the case of a workflow template file, the task owner must manually start the task to input job variables and subsequently initiate the job.
Are you saying that with a jobfile (not a wftfile) you are
not
seeing the nested workflow task start running? Or is the nested workflow running and its the first task in the nested workflow that isn't running immediately?
--fish
(Interwoven Senior Technical Consultant)
Migrateduser
I know this topic has been discussed before, but I don't really understand why a WFT type of nested job has to be manually initiated when the <wftask> is activated. Can't it just automatically do the
Start Nested Job
that I have to do manually in the pull-down? This is a big pain point with my customers since they have to perform many nested jobs and this is one extra manual step that shouldn't need to be manual. The nested job should just start - maybe add an attribute to the <wftask> like
immediate="t"
as in a cgitask if we want to kick off the nested job automatically? Is this in the works?
Dave Smith
Sr. Software Engineer
Nike, Inc.
(503) 671-4238
DavidH.Smith@nike.com
nipper
I think it is how to automatically kick off a nested job. Currently (IIRC) a user needs to select Start Nested Job
no matter what step in the WF it is located. Would be nice to have that kick off automatically if it were, say after an email tast.
Andy
Maninder_IBM
Yes it would be nice to have it kicked off automatically!!
So are you guys saying it can't be done? Whats the alternative? The manual says you can automatically kick off a Job specification file.. is it easy to make one of these from my existing WFT?
We should put in for a feature enhancement. This should be very easy to do.
Adam Stoller
I don't have access to our feature tracking system right now.
I believe we already have filed a feature request for wftasks with wftfiles to have the same behavior as cgitasks with immediate="t" set (i.e. run immediately in situations where a cgitask would run immediately, require user interaction to run it where a cgitask would require user interaction to run it).
The documentation indicates that using a jobfile (rather than a wftfile) *should* initiate immediately. I don't have the ability to verify this right now.
Can anyone else verify whether it does or does not behave according to the documentation?
--fish
(Interwoven Senior Technical Consultant)
Maninder_IBM
Anyone?? I can't believe no one hasn't ever tried this before!
ConnectorSwitch55.dcpackage.zip
Migrateduser
I know this topic has been discussed before and I'm also hoping that there is a feature request for this solution. I'm hoping even more that since several people have requested this feature that it will actually get some attention and be fixed in the next major release (or sooner if possible). It doesn't seem that hard of a thing to implement. The behavior as it exists today is enormously annoying.
Dave Smith
Sr. Software Engineer
Nike, Inc.
(503) 671-4238
DavidH.Smith@nike.com
nipper
> The documentation indicates that using a jobfile (rather than > a wftfile) *should* initiate immediately
We have not tried that, but our users are complaining like my 5 year old so I will try to hack something up & see.
Andy
Maninder_IBM
well lets hope they listen up and add this feature.. how annoying huh!