Flex

Options
jrosler
edited August 7, 2008 in Documentum #1

Has anyone had experience coding in Flex yet? I'm curious how that compares to WDK customizations .

Comments

• Pie
    Pie
    edited July 14, 2008 #2
    Options

I've heard that it is easy, but it isn't nearly as structured as the WDK is.

I'm not sure how the customization process will work with the Documentum flex applications. However, as I believe the only one slated for release is the new DAM client. I've been told that Magellan/CenterStage does not use Flex.

-Pie

• msroth
    edited July 16, 2008 #3
    Options

It would be nice to know if there is ANY kind of migration path for WDK customizations too.

• Pie
    Pie
    edited July 18, 2008 #4
    Options

There isn't. They said that they aren't getting rid of Webtop and that it is going to still be the power desktop. Magellan/CenterStage is not designed to be customized heavily from what I heard. That is still what Webtop will be for, just with pre-sets to make some of it easier.

From my blog:

In the front, we have Ext JS (The new rich media user interface is Flex). I’ve just taken a quick gander, but I liked what I saw. The phrase 508 compliant does tend to float across my mind though. Hopefully it is in the rigging somewhere.
    All this means is that there is no WDK framework. This is okay. They
    have stated that the WDK is not going away, at least not in D7. Webtop
    is going to remain as an interface for the power user and for provided
    heavily customized interfaces.

Obviously this could all change.

-Pie

• Chris_Campbell
    edited August 4, 2008 #5
    Options

My "gut" feeling is that Flex is the direction that everything is going to be headed. It's too soon to dump WDK as a framework. Too much has been built into it and built around it. However, there is a general consensus from end-users (and what I've gathered from my own conversations from EMC) that WDK has always been difficult to customize. To put it bluntly, I'd rather sit through 100 viewings of "The Love Guru" than attempt to add a custom tab in Webtop.

Flex has a lot going for it and it's Eclipse-based. That right there is enough to sell me. The next logical step is to integrate Eclipse/Flex/Composer into one mismash supertool. Sprinkle in a little Subversion and you've got a platform to customize Documentum that's light-years ahead of 5.x. WDK isn't going to disappear overnight, but the EMC Developers working with Flex are absolutely in love with it. I'd grab Flex and start learning it to be ahead of the curve.

• ldallas
    edited August 7, 2008 #6
    Options

We've done a few things with Flex in the last few months and I have to say I love it. Regardless of what you put behind it, it is in every way a more approachable UI design framework than anything EMC/documentum has had to offer.

I posted a bit about my experience with it on BigMenOnContent.