Content Server on MAC OS X

pipin
edited December 11, 2008 in Documentum #1

Looking through the D6.5 release notes and its missing MAC OS X support. I wonder why EMC is not supporting OS X ? Going down the list I see HP, Solaris and other Unix based OS but not OS X. So I wonder if any of you tried installing D 6.5 on OS X ? As far i know technically it shoud work on OS X through mac port. There might be some issue with the root access but not sure that will be a major issue.

Please feel free to share your thoughts and idea.

www.macports.org

Thanks

Jarjis

Comments

• Francois Dauberlieu
    edited December 11, 2008 #2

Probably because the content server is a server application supposed to run on a server and the OS you described are real server OS

• pipin
    edited December 11, 2008 #3

MAC OS X is a UNIX certified system and there is a server version. Which is not much difference then the MAC OS X Core funtionality. The question is why CS Server is not supporting OS X. It could be that they never test it on OS X.

http://www.apple.com/server/macosx/features/

Thanks

Jarjis

• Francois Dauberlieu
    edited December 11, 2008 #4

yeap, I guess you're right, they most likely never tested it.

Basically, the question for EMC would most like be: Are big company using this OS in their server farms ? to be honest, so far I've never seen any big company (and I work with quite a lot of VERY large ones) using MAX OS X in their servers so I guess, there's no business case for EMC to invest time and effort porting on it.

But then again, I could be completely wrong. Dod you ask your EMC account manager ?

• So, this question hasn't been updated or revisited for more than 12 years? Why doesn't OTCS work as fully as it does on WindowsOS?

• @MRDotson , thanks for reviving the thread. Have you formally requested support for Mac OS?

• I have submitted a ticket regarding trying to move emails from Outlook to Safari. You can move one at a time, but if you try to move more than one, Safari crashes. I've sent logs but OT support has been very very very slow in responding. I've not only tested this on two of our Macs at EPRI, but yesterday while talking with a third party, they experienced the same. I'm surprised OT has not had this affect reported until now.

• Thanks for the update @MRDotson . I see in a previous interaction, this KB was suggested - it is outlines a feature request that has been logged for Mac OS with the client. Unfortunately it remains 'open', but I will ask to have your company added to the request.

• Thank you Karen

• This has nothing to do with the original post which is about Documentum Server running on Mac OS. You should open a new thread.

• Right. I realized that after I posted it. I searched for OpenText Content Server and when this came up, I failed to recognize it wasn't OTCS but Documentum. My apologies. Perhaps Documentum behaves well in the MacOSX environment unlike OpenText!