Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
How to view in-memory OD log?
System
Hi OpenDeploy folks -
Here's my question:
OpenDeploy generates an in-memory log of of path items being delployed. There's a reference to it on p. 214 of the OD 5.6 Admin Guide and some more on p. 67 of the OD 5.6 Installation Reference Guide.
I'm trying to debug some code given to me that is supposed to be parsing the in-memory streamed log, but I can't quite tell from the docs how I can view the log, which would help me verify that what the parser is expecting is indeed what is being streamed.
Also, there's a reference to a perl module IWXML.pm that can be used to process the stream, but I'm not sure how to approach testing with this.
Any advice out there?
TIA
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
Migrateduser
As added info to this issue (I work with Wally), I created a simple perl script, based on the Interwoven supplied viewsvrlog.ipl, that simply reads STDIN and prints it out to a file. That's all it does. We run this script as a DNR after a deployment, using OD 5.6. I expect a list of files that passed and failed from the deployment. All it shows is this:
------------BEGIN Server-side log in XML------------
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<log target="" action="0" date="1049307823" result="0" response="" >
<log_element target="" action="0" date="1049307823" result="2" response="RunScripts when=client_after_all on state=always
" />
</log>
------------END Server-side log in XML------------
In the actual deployment log, it shows one directory and two files were successfully deployed. Why isn't this showing up in the inline log for 5.6? Did something change between 5.5.1 and 5.6 to delete the file details from the inline log?
Dave Smith
Sr. Software Engineer
Nike, Inc.
(503) 671-4238
DavidH.Smith@nike.com
Migrateduser
you can capture what the in-memory log is by running a DNR that reads STDIN and writes it to some file that you can check on later. The viewsvrlog.ipl is a sample perl script that echos the in-memory log to stderr.
On other note, the IWXML.pm perl module understands the formats, both the old one and the newly introduced one in OD5.6.
Don't use the dnrDeploymentJob to run your script to capture the in-memory log. These new triggers in OD56. are outside the context of a deployment connection so no memory log, other than a snippet will be there. You want to use something like:
<dnrDeployment location="source" when="after"
triggerPoint="transfer"
state="failure" >
<script ... />
</dnrDeployment>
Migrateduser
correction:
<dnrDeployment location="source" when="after"
triggerPoint="transfer"
state="always" >
<script ... />
</dnrDeployment>
Migrateduser
Thanks all. I've gotten by this issue and have been working with the log.
Wally Box
Nike, Inc.
rahulk
Hi Wally, Dave
Can you please post the approach and outcome of your research on parsing logs. I am also looking for similar info, since we are heavily dependent on post-deploy log processing to generate filelist to be used for data deploy. In fact I created a new post today.
I will appreciate your help.
-Rahul
Migrateduser
One thing I would like to point out about in-memory logs...
Prior to OD 5.6, DNRs could parse the in-memory log in what is called "Information Stream" format.
In OD 5.6 a new "Manifest" format was introduced. This is the preferred format for new applications.
Either format can be used in OD 5.6. By default, a fresh OD 5.6 installation will use the new manifest format. An upgrade install will by default use the old infostream format, so as not to break existing DNRs. You can also set a config option to explicitly set which format to use.
The OD 5.6 Installation and Reference Guide explains how to set the format to use, and provides a DTD for each of the formats.
Todd Scallan
Group Product Manager
Interwoven
t: 408-530-7167
e:
tscallan@interwoven.com
Migrateduser
To be clear, we were unable to use the new Manifest in-line log structure We tried to use the old inline streaming log by setting up OD 5.6 to do it the old way but were also unable to get that to work. So we ended up bagging OD 5.6 and going back to OD5.5.1 to get the streaming in-line log to work for us.
Dave Smith
Sr. Software Engineer
Nike, Inc.
(503) 671-4238
DavidH.Smith@nike.com
Migrateduser
Hey Dave,
Did you have the OD 5.6 reporting feature enabled? I believe that will force OD to use the new manifest format.
Todd Scallan
Group Product Manager
Interwoven
t: 408-530-7167
e:
tscallan@interwoven.com
Migrateduser
Ahhh, well that's probably why it didn't work. I'm thinking that this isn't all that well documented, Todd - which is a big stretch for me to say, isn't it? Seriously - it's confusing as **** with all the various ways of reading the log data from version 4.X through to 5.6. I know you had good reasons for changing things, but it makes life awfully rough on those of us who have scripts in place that need to be updated for all the new ways of doing things. Documentation - thorough documentation - on what we need to do to get the new format of streaming log info would be helpful.
Dave Smith
Sr. Software Engineer
Nike, Inc.
(503) 671-4238
DavidH.Smith@nike.com
runtime_settings.JPG
Migrateduser
I'm so glad I'm not the only one having this problem - What's the secret to getting the filelist - I added
<dnrDeployment location="source" when="after" triggerPoint="transfer" state="always">
to my script where I'm deploying the e-mail
and I get e-mail with out a filelist - and I just deployed one file
and deleted one for good measure - to make sure the script mail-admin.ipl would kick off - I get a nice e-mail without a list however!
Thanks
vp98aa
What is the secret to get the filelist instead of a short email saying: Deployment failed/succeded?
Thx
Adam Stoller
Use a DNR script to parse the in-memory log which gets sent to the DNR script on STDIN (look for stuff in IWOD60HOME/solutions/)
--fish
Senior Consultant, Quotient Inc.
http://www.quotient-inc.com