Is there a limit to the number of objects that can go into a folder?
Not that I know off
I couldn't find any limitation on this one in Webtop release notes , probably there is no such limitation and its a matter of performance.
RK
The databases supported by Documentum are good enough for quite a lot of records and therefore, performances wouldn't bee too much affected by a large number of documents in a single folder.
However, the client applications would most likely be a bit.
I think the biggest problem would be usability. It's going to be hard for the users to find documents just using the navigation system of the client you use if everything is in 1 folder and then they'll have to always use the Search tools.
In my experience, lots of users are still 'old fashioned' and navigate in Doucmentum like they do in Windows Explorer (replace Windows Explorer by whatever you want for the anti-windoz people around ;-)
My 2 cents
Yes , I do agree with you.
There is no limit to the number of objects a folder can contain. Each object contains a reference (i_folder_id) to the folder(s) to which it belongs or is linked to. When a folder is selected, a query is run to get the list of objects that reference this folder id (i.e. select * from dm_sysobject where any i_folder_id='<folderId>').