Hi,
I see that its possible to apply lifecycle to a folder through API command. But why dont we have a option to apply a lifecycle to a folder via webtop?
Can we enable this through webtop customization. Is there any impact on doing this?
Yes, can apply lifecycle to a folder, but this does not translate to having lifecycle applied to contents/objects within a folder. This is probably why Webtop UI does not support applying a lifecycle to a folder. If you want lifecycle to be applied to the contents, you will have to write your own customization. You will also have to include error handling that would prevent applying the lifecycle to a document, such as:
Prabhu,
Can you tell me a scenario where we need to apply a lifecycle to a folder?As I understand,it is the content which keeps changing (through state) during
reviews etc and hence content is the variable which keeps changing.Folders and Cabinet are mere containers which once created can only be deleted if at all
required.So there is only create and delete for a folder ..a 2 step lifecycle without any workflow activties on it.
Thanks for the response. Consider the following scenario,
I thought this could be done by calling custom methods (need to develop) during every phase change.
I welcome any possible suggestions for achieving this functionality.
Gee,
I dont want the lifecycle to be applied to the objects inside the folder. I just want to perform a certain operations like copy, changing acls, etc during every phase change of the folder to which the lifecycle is applied.
If the above functionalities are possible with the lifecycle, I would need to view the lifecycle option for the folders via webtop.
You should be able to enable edit action for dm_folder type by modifying the edit action config in either generic_actions.xml, dm_sysobject_actions.xml, or dm_folder_actions.xml.
So you mean I can make webtop customization for enabling lifecycle option for folders in webtop?
Yes. Please read the WDK Developers Guide and Tutorial for more details.
Thanks. will try that out.