Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
Problems with symlink elements in TS 4.5.1
System
On our ancient TeamSite 4.5.1 installation, we have an element that appears to be a symbolic link (with a little arrow turning upward). For some reason, on the web server file system, the file is now not a symbolic link, and appears to be a slightly older version of the file. I don't understand why that might happen. The other confusion I have is that I can't figure out how to get TS to tell me what path the element is a symbolic link to. It just shows me that it's a symbolic link, but with no details. I tried "File Properties", but that didn't help.
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
Adam Stoller
I don't know off-hand if File Properties in TeamSite 5.5.2 (or TeamSite 6) provides better information regarding symbolic links - but in general, you really shouldn't use symbolic links *within* TeamSite (what does it really mean to version a symbolic link? are you versioning what the link itself or what the link is pointing to? what if the link is pointing to something *outside* of the TeamSite filesystem, etc.)
Also, I'd strongly encourage you to upgrade to 5.5.2 SP4 as soon as possible (I think you'll have to upgrade to 5.0x first - from there you can go to 5.5.2 or perhaps, depending on timing, to 6.0)
--fish
(Interwoven 5.5.2 Certified, Senior Technical Consultant)
Migrateduser
Are you really suggesting that we not use the symlink feature in 4.5.1 and instead manually create them in the filesystem? The advantage of a CMS is that you can manage all of the files that get deployed to the target filesystem. With respect to "versioning" of a symbolic link, I would never expect this would "version" what the link is pointing to, but simply the path the link is pointing to, and the name, and that it IS a symbolic link.
If it really is the case that symbolic links in 4.5.1 simply don't work (and don't even provide a way to inspect or edit the path being linked to), then I might have to agree with you.
WIth respect to upgrading to 5.5.2 or newer, that's out of my control.
Migrateduser
I cannot help with the symlink question (sorry). I can let you know that 4.5.1 has reached End-of-Life. The announcement was sent to all 4.5.x customers. I am pretty sure the product is no longer supported by Interwoven. While it is beyond your control, you may want to at least let people know this.
lissa