Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
using filelist
swong74
Hallo,
I have a deployment config that would use a file list generated by TeamSite. The filelist name will be dynamically generated and I suppose it'll have some sort of session info as part of the filename to distinguish it from one another. For simplicity, let's say : iwodstart deployment_name.xml -k filelist=filelistA and then a -k filelist=filelistB. My questions are : should there be a file listed on both filelist and the deployment run simultaneously, what would happen to that said file and/or the 2 deployments? Can you run multiple deployments (one deployment config) with different parameters simultaneously?
Thanks :-)
Ciao ?:-)
S. Wong
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
gwen1
In order to kick off deployments at the same time, would need to enable queue or pass -inst ### to the command. Do not recommend queuing the deployments though, it will only hold one in the queue at a time. If a third deployment command comes in it will replace the deployment which was queued but in our experience, no error is reported.
We pass the -inst parameter with our filelist deployments, have not had any problems.
Gwen
swong74
cool, but have you had the scenario when filelistA had /htdocs/myindex.html and filelistB had the same /htdocs/myindex.html ... would that cause problem if the deployments were simultaneously run ... a race condition so to speak?
Ciao ?:-)
S. Wong
gwen1
It would actually deploy the same file twice. Since with a filelist no comparison is done. You are just doing extra work.
Adam Stoller
Are you deploying the same file to the same target on the same receiver? If so, why is it listed in both filelists? Presumably you're generating the filelists, you could also do duplicate-detection while creating them to avoid such issues.
I think there *is* a chance of a race-condition problem in which one of the threads deletes the temporary file and the other thread is trying to do something with it at the same time - so I'd strongly suggest avoiding the possibility altogether.
If you are deploying the same file to different nodes simultaneously or different target areas concurrently - that's *not* a problem.
--fish
Strolling Prime Minister of no fixed address
swong74
would say deployment-filelistA lock the file such that if deployment-filelistB happens to have the same file and "attempt" to write at the same time, we won't have a hung condition (race condition ... wherein one is waiting for the other to finish and yet neither one is really doing anything); that deployment-filelistB will just skip that file.
To answer fish's posting, yes, to the same target filepath/receiver. In theory, filelistA and filelistB should be unique. I just needed to know if ever a goof was made that both had a file (no matter how insignificant) listed at the same time and tried to deploy, they won't ruin the deployments (which were suppose to be independent).
tnx
-sw
Ciao ?:-)
S. Wong
swong74
ok, I tested using deployment-instA and deployment-instB to go against filelistA thereby "emulating" a close to simultaneous deployment. Whichever of the two is triggered last will "complete with errors." and just go it's merry way. That's good since it didn't break anything.
However, now here's my scenario : I've added a DNR-on-success and noticed that both deployment-instA and instB ran their respective DNR=echo [inst-name] > /tmp/file[inst-name].
So, my question is this : when would DNR not be run? Is filelist not subject to DNR on-success run? Even if it "fails" it completes and goes running the DNR regardless? I put in filelist a /bogusme.html and the deployment still complete and ran the DNR ... oh boy ... not what I would want to happen. Any suggestions?
Thanks
- sw
Ciao ?:-)
S. Wong
swong74
btw, I had the assumption that if one file in the filelist wasn't deployed, OpenDeploy would trigger error and if transactional, reverse the deployment. the reason for the filelist is to focus on certain files in the path and not everything ... sub-packaging of a site.
- sw
Ciao ?:-)
S. Wong
Adam Stoller
Is the deployment transactional? I don't recall this being mentioned earlier.
If transactional, I believe any failure to deploy a file is considered an error and a rollback occurs.
If non-transactional, there is no rollback
How are the DNRs being defined? - that may make a difference as to whether or not they run or don't run based upon the success or failure of the deployment.
--fish
Strolling Prime Minister of no fixed address
edi_customers.txt
swong74
Hi fish,
The deployment was transactional-filelist. The DNR was set to =success. But I ran it using iwodstart with a file that is non-existent and the run completed. I tried with a file with r-only and the run ended "completed with errors" and still the DNR ran. I know because I delete the files it (the script on target) creates.
Here's a snippet of the config ...
<sourceFilesystem area="/iwmnt/default/main/Intranet/OneSource/STAGING
" filelist="$filelist^" >
<deployment transactional="yes" >
<dnrDeployment location="target" when="after" state="success" >
<script cmd="c:\temp\test.cmd $filename^" as="" where=
"" async="no" >
The filelist and filename parameters are provided via iwodstart. This is going to be part of a workflow so I guess the filelist won't ever have a bogus file in the list. But I need to know about the DNR since I assume success meant no errors whatsoever. I "simulated" the error by inserting a bogus file ... so, what if something went wrong with one file in the list, I want the DNR to NOT run. So far, I've seen it run so I'm wondering ....
Thanks.
-sw
Ciao ?:-)
S. Wong