Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
Multiple backingstores
Joost
Hi All,
I'd like to check a "line of thought" we are having:
We want to use TeamSite 24/7. In our case that means that we have users in Europe, the USA and in Asia using TeamSite. All in their own timezones.
To make sure we can backup we are thinking of using three backingstores, one for each region. So we can backup the store during the "night-time" of the specific region.
But what makes me doubt is that I have to freeze to make a backup. Can I only freeze the backingstore I want to backup???
Looking foreward to your ideas...
Joost
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
james1
Yes, you can freeze and thaw stores independently of each other.
-- James
--
James H Koh
Interwoven Engineering
Migrateduser
Joost,
Your "line of thought" is a good approach. It is common to have different stores based around a geographical or business area, also you should ensure that each "store" should be on a seperate partition, and in the best solution place each partion on a seperate disk, this will ensure full redundancy if a disk fails (and should be easy to do as you are creating 3 stores)
It is very easy to create an individual store, and the best practice should be:-
1) update iw.cfg with the location of the new store
2) run iwreset
3) run iwstoreadm -a and the new store name
If you want to freeze a store then just run :
iwstoreadm +(secs) storename
ie. iwstoreadm +10000 store2
Cheers
Stefan
james1
> If you want to freeze a store then just run :
>
> iwstoreadm +(secs) storename
> ie. iwstoreadm +10000 store2
Actually, "iwfreeze" is the CLT that freezes stores, not "iwstoreadm".
Also, keep in mind that you may incur extra license fees for using additional stores.
-- James
--
James H Koh
Interwoven Engineering
Migrateduser
sorry...cut and paste error..thanks james!
should be:-
iwfreeze +(secs) storename
ie. iwfreeze +10000 store2
Joost
Tanx!
Licenses won't be a problem and now I know that I can freeze each store individually we can start to expand.
Joost
Migrateduser
Another great capability of multi-store, is the ability to test your backups. You can restore your backup to different filesystem than the original store, load it as a new store, and verify the completeness of the backup.
After being burned by daily backups that turned out to be write-only, I like to see periodic testing of the backup procedure. And multi-store makes this possible w/out even interrupting service.
Migrateduser
What is the command to "restore your backup to different filesystem than the original store, load it as a new store, and verify the completeness of the backup." I'd be interested in this for the future!
Migrateduser
It isn't a command. You create a new store dedicated to testing a backup. Then restore a backup to the location of this store. Devise whatever tests make sense to confirm that the restored content matches what was backed up. This provides an environment for end-to-end testing of your backup/restore approach.
There were some tricky bits to it; but mostly it consisted of restoring the backup to a different location. When I first started doing this we restored on a different filesystem than the one hosting the backing store. Now I see IS is using a directory on the same filesystem as the real backing store. We also had some lines in 'iw.cfg' to mount the restore, of htis form:
store_directory_<store2>=<path>/iw-store/<store>
If you have multiple TS servers, another backup test I've used, is restore the backup from one TS server onto another. I've always named a store such that it reflects product/project name. So the names don't clash when resident on the same server. If you always use 'default' then it may take more effort to allow this approach.