Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
Our authors are unable to see "File>New Job".
WORKFLOWdude
Our authors are unable to see "File>New Job". However the editors can see it. Is there a config file setting somewhere that can be changed to allow authors to see "File>New Job"? ...or is that one of the limitations of the author license? I couldn't find any settings in iw.cfg that looked promising.
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
nipper
Limitation of author license.
That being said, why do you need it ? An author can invoke a WF but they must do it from selection of a file and clicking on submit. In our environment, new job is seldom, if ever, used.
Andy
WORKFLOWdude
Thanks for the quick reply. We need to attach multiple files (that exist in different folders) to our workflow. At the very least, 1 XML file and 1 Metadata file must be attached for the content to appear on our website. The workflow is used to route and approve content. No one (except admin) is able to submit content to staging without using a workflow. Currently we use File>New Job to start all our workflows.
I'm not too failiar with using the submit feature. (Although admin uses "submit direct" all the time to bypass workflows and send files to staging.) We don't currently have "submit" set-up to instantiate a workflow. I just now selected a file and hit "submit" and it said "there are no templates configured". Which templates would I need to configure in order to use "submit" to select and instatiate one of our existing workflows?
PS: I doubt that it matters but I thought I'd mention that we are still using 5.0
nipper
Might be easier for the users to view my modified,
select the files & then click submit.
One point, cause this will bite you. The author GUI (webdesk) is persistant with the view. So if you view my modified, CD around, kill the window & restart, your view is still set to modified. I get calls once a week: Where did my files go ? The directory is empty ! Help. Calm down, click view all files, Make check payable to Andy.
HTH
Andy
nipper
> Which templates would I need to configure in order to
>use "submit" to select and instatiate one of our existing
>workflows?
You can set up any WF to run off of submit, just a simple change to available_templates.cfg.
RTFM
Andy
share_log.txt
Migrateduser
You don't know how to configure the Submit button to kick off workflows? And you call yourself WORKFLOWdude? Tsk, tsk...
Dave Smith
Sr. Software Engineer
Nike, Inc.
(503) 671-4238
DavidH.Smith@nike.com
WORKFLOWdude
Thanks!
As you were typing that last reply I was making the change in available_templates.cfg .
I added:
<command value="submit">
</command>
...and everything works! (I also had to change our iw.cfg file to allow authors to do a submit.) I'll send over the check....however I'm not going to tell anyone in our organization that I had help! :-)
I have a quick question about your earlier posting though. When you said "my modified", did you mean "list modified" from the view menu? I can see where that will allow a user to select multiple files from different folders. The only problem we have is there are soooo many files that it takes a long time for the files to appear. If there was an actual "MY modified files" that narrows the list to files asscociated with your ID, then that would help performance.
Mark Albertson
COUNTRY Insurance & Financial Services
PS: ...I'm changing my handle. :-)
Migrateduser
You can use the File->New Job method to kick off a workflow with files from different folders within a workarea by doing a View->List Modified and selecting whichever files you want prior to starting the job with File->New Job. That's how most of our users do it.
Dave Smith
Sr. Software Engineer
Nike, Inc.
(503) 671-4238
DavidH.Smith@nike.com
WORKFLOWdude
Howdy Dave.....thanks for the compliment. :-) I was really just testing you guys to see if you knew.
Hey...I introduced myself to you at the last GearUp...or maybe it was a focus group....I can't remember. I love those events. Do you think we can talk Interwoven into holding another GearUp?
Mark Albertson
COUNTRY Insurance & Fiancial Services
nipper
Hey Workflowdud :-)
>I have a quick question about your earlier posting though.
>When you said "my modified", did you mean "list modified"
>from the view menu?
Authors have a different GUI they CAN use. Editors + use WebDeskPro, Authros can use WebDesk (checkbox on login). That GUI has View My Modified Files and is persistant.
>I can see where that will allow a user to select multiple files
>from different folders. The only problem we have is there
>are soooo many files that it takes a long time for the files to
>appear.
Yup, that is a pain. But when you delete a file, you do not have a choice.
It is also smaller if you are using personal workareas. Are users sharing a WA ?
>If there was an actual "MY modified files" that narrows the
>list to files asscociated with your ID, then that would help
>performance.
IF ??? IF ???? IF?????
You NEVER doubt a SR poster on devnet. That is as bad as calling Smitty a Moron.
Migrateduser
Yeah you know that they didn't cancel Gear-Up because the user groups pick up the slack. They could have thought up a better excuse than that. It's all about money - or the lack of it. Obviously Interwoven is hurting. They just let go of a bunch of their consulting force. No Gear-Up this year. You have to wonder how healthy the company is. But that's fodder for another thread...
Dave Smith
Sr. Software Engineer
Nike, Inc.
(503) 671-4238
DavidH.Smith@nike.com
Migrateduser
Hey Dave,
Of course it's about money. :-) IWOV is on a path to profitability, and the company is managing expenses carefully. Hence, no GearUp this year.
We do feel that we will have the opportunity to get meaningful input from customers at Focus Group and regional User Group meetings. That's why we send a product manager to each UG meeting.
IWOV is healthy, and we plan to stay that way. :-)
--------
Shannon McMahon
Product Marketing Manager
Interwoven Developer Tools