Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
creating job files from wfts`
nipper
Have not been able to find out how to programmatically create a job file from a WFT. Anyone do this ? I have used the debug out to create one, but need to be able to fill in comment, owner, etc for a nested job.
Anyone try this ?
ANdy
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
Migrateduser
I'm in the process of trying to do this now. I plan on calling an externaltask from my parent to create the job spec for the nested job. I can programmatically create all the text, task owners, etc. based on information in the parent workflow. Of course, none of my nested workflows require any TAG_info input. If you need user input, you should probably use a cgitask instead of an externaltask to mimic your TAG_info inputs and then you'll have the data you need to plug into your job spec. Once you have all the data you need, it's simply a matter of creating the XML with a big perl here document (using the "<<" syntax).
Dave Smith
Sr. Software Engineer
Nike, Inc.
(503) 671-4238
DavidH.Smith@nike.com
james1
Have you looked into iwwft_compile.ipl? It generates job specs from WFTs (and user-provided input), optionally instantiating a new job from your job spec.
-- James
--
James H Koh
Interwoven Engineering
nipper
Dave
Are you using iwwft_compile ? I have been working with it but not able to get it to "compile" my nested WF cleanly.
Wish there were some docs more that perldoc for it.
ANdy
Migrateduser
No I haven't...and I wonder what it really does. I guess it must prompt you for all the TAG_info stuff and then "does the right thing" based on the inputs. Which would be fairly useful if you could get it to work. On the other hand, how useful would that be within the parent workflow? If you still need to prompt the user for info, how would that help you? I would still think you'd need a CGI or something to ask the user for the info. I'm guessing iwwft_compile.ipl is something you would do from the command line as opposed to within a parent workflow.
Dave Smith
Sr. Software Engineer
Nike, Inc.
(503) 671-4238
DavidH.Smith@nike.com
nipper
No, as far as I can tell, you create an XML file with parameters (branch, user, workarea, etc) and feed that with the wft & it generates a jobc with a few steps missing. :-)
Mine stops at the first user task (so my email notification does not do out).
Andy
Migrateduser
Oh. Well that's way overcomplicated for what I'm doing. I'm finding that it's pretty easy to convert my WFT files to XML job specs. But like I said, I don't require any user input. Everything I need has been gathered by the parent and stored in workflow variables that the child workflows can go get. It just luckily worked out that way for me.
Dave Smith
Sr. Software Engineer
Nike, Inc.
(503) 671-4238
DavidH.Smith@nike.com
nipper
Yea, these are kind of complicated. While debugging, it looks like iwwft_compile ignores the <template_script> directive so everything I have defined in there is dropped.
Bummer
Andy
Migrateduser
Wow what a great tool.
Dave Smith
Sr. Software Engineer
Nike, Inc.
(503) 671-4238
DavidH.Smith@nike.com
nipper
> Wow what a great tool.
Yea, but on the plus side, it makes for a much shorter nested workflow.
:-)
james1
> While debugging, it looks like iwwft_compile ignores
> the <template_script> directive so everything I have defined in
> there is dropped.
This is not the intended behavior. I'd say it's either a bug or pilot error. You should contact Tech Support.
-- James
--
James H Koh
Interwoven Engineering
nipper
>> While debugging, it looks like iwwft_compile ignores
>> the <template_script> directive so everything I have defined in
>> there is dropped.
>This is not the intended behavior. I'd say it's either a bug or
>pilot error. You should contact Tech Support.
>
>-- James
Well, engineering decided it is a DOCUMENTATION bug, since the docs do not say this only works on static workflows.
Glad I only wasted a couple weeks working on this.
Bitter, no I am not bitter...........