Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
wrapper error
msrich
W2K TS 5.5.2+SP3
User sees following error msg. Any idea what's causing this?
TeamSite: Wrapper
Error: CGI startup error: CONTENT_LENGTH = 0.
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
Migrateduser
What UI is this user in? What is he/she attempting to do? Is this a new installation or an upgrade? Do multiple users see this problem, or only one? I'm sorry, there really isn't much information to go on here.
lissa
msrich
Thanks for your feedback. Multiple users have seen this on both Dev and PRD servers (both are W2K TS 5.5.2; DEV=TS SP4; PRD=TS SP3), in both custom-developed CGI's and simply navigating the TS branching structure. Though we can't reproduce the error in any controlled way, there's a suspicion that the error appears during heavy system load.
Again, can you suggest what might be going on? Can you suggest the source of the error message (the title bar of the error message box reads "Internet Explorer")? Does the reference to CONTENT_LENGTH look important?
Migrateduser
I believe that this message indicates that your server received an HTTP POST request where the actual length of the request (the amount of data received) did not match the length that was specified in the HTTP request header.
I don't know what is causing you to see this problem. Is it possible that the request is being corrupted during transmission through your network?
Brinko Kobrin
Interwoven Staff Engineer
mdang
I would first look at the apache access log to see anything interesting there. By default, this log is in <iw-home>/iw-webd/logs/access.log.
If that doesn't tell much, then you need to run a network monitoring tool to see what is actually posting to the server and why the content length not match. (ex. tcpdump, ethereal)
msrich
User reports wrapper error
"I just received a wrapper error while trying to submit a html page to staging today 11/12/03 at 3:24pm. I was in the 4Q03 branch in psnva235."
Could you take a look at attached log and see if there's anything there to probe?
mdang
Reviewed the log file, there are no error code reported by the web server between the time of 11/12/03 3:20pm and 3:30pm. In fact, there are only few 404s in the entire log file, everything seems ok.
So this is not a simple web server issue, the problem is at the CGI level. Could you provide details of what exactly you were doing when you get the wrapper error? In what step of submit did this happened, and on which screen/frame that the error showed? Did the submit went through anyway regardless?
Annad
Hi,
I've received the same error and that happened when I tried to execute a custom menu item by selecting too much files.
If I select less files (eg: 15-20 files), it was not a problem. However when more than 20 (or so) files are selected, I get this error.
It looks like TeamSite can't handle a lot of files at the CGI level.
Is there a solution to this. We need the users to be able to select more than atleast 30 file per time.
-Thanks in advance for any help.
Anna Anton.
ts_user
We do not have the problem when we invoke more than 20 files using the CGI dropdown. How do you invoke the CGI dropdown? Do you invoke it as an .ipl file (and also with the CGI wrapper) or as a .cgi? We are on TS 5.5.2 Sp3 W2k.
Annad
Well, I invoke it as an .ipl file with the cgi wrapper on TS5.5.2 sp4 w2k.
I might not have said the correct number for the number of files you could choose, but could you tell me how many files you are able to select for a drop down menu.
Thanks.
ts_user
I am able to select 50+ files and still do not have the error. Can you enable the show_env.ipl as a dropdown and check if you get the similar error when you select multiple files with this dropdown?
Adam Stoller
What is this custom menu item doing?
As mentioned before - there is generally an HTTP timeout (I think it's 2 minutes) that sometimes affects long-running CGI scripts like this - and the general solution in that case is to find some place within the script that you can send "invisible" data to the CGI window while it's running - i.e. something like:<pre>...
foreach (
@list_of_files){
print "\n"; # send data to window to keep HTTP connection alive
process_file($_); # do whatever you were going to do with the file
}</pre>The above is obviously generic since I don't know what your script is doing nor how it was written, but hopefully you can figure out how to apply it to your situation and see if it resolves the problem.
--fish
Senior Consultant, Quotient Inc.
http://www.quotient-inc.com
msrich
I ran into same issue again -- now in different circumstances. This time I saw the CONTENT_LENGTH=0 error when attempting to leave one html window to bring up another window.
In JavaScript, I had set the .action to the name of the .ipl that would draw the target window; then I had a .submit().
I was able to get beyond the error and bring up the target window by changing the method on the calling form from 'post' to 'get.'