Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
Desktop Developer License!
System
I just got an email from Interwoven saying "As a consultant you can become IWOV6 certified and earn a Desktop Developer License!". How do I get a desktop developer license without becoming certifiable?
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
Migrateduser
You get your checkbook out and write a nice fat check to Interwoven. I believe this post answers your question:
http://devnet.interwoven.com/forums/cgi-bin/showthreaded.pl?Cat=&Board=PRODUCTS_OPENAPI&Number=23635&page=0&view=expanded&sb=5&o=0#Post23635
Dave Smith
Sr. Software Engineer
Nike, Inc.
(503) 671-4238
DavidH.Smith@nike.com
Migrateduser
Emerald? WTF man I am never going to catch up.
Migrateduser
I would rather give the satan himself a few grand for an MSDN subscription than shell out that much cash to Interwoven. For all the contributions I've made to this community and their customers they should just give me a license to do development. And I want my 4.2 certification.
Migrateduser
I did have a bit of a head start on you, grasshopper. And since I'm using 6.0 ahead of you, there's little chance you'll make any headway since I've been complaining and apologizing for doing stupid things so much. I'm still aiming for ghoti...the guy is **** peristent about posting, but his posts are definitely getting more colorful.
Dave Smith
Sr. Software Engineer
Nike, Inc.
(503) 671-4238
DavidH.Smith@nike.com
Migrateduser
You should contact your IWOV sales person for prices for the Desktop Developer Server. Our goal in letting you know you can get TeamSite certified is to enable you to market your skills as a trained professional. If this does not appeal to you, that's fine.
lissa
Migrateduser
I'm more interested in developing my skills than marketing them. I can get Visual Studio .NET for $100, trialware of XMLSpy, Idea, etc. for free, evaluation versions of thousands of products just by downloading. Why doesn't Interwoven encourage the developer community in this way? Especially since Apache/TomCat/Perl/etc. included with TeamSIte is from the public domain anyway.
For instance right now my client is 5.5.2 and is scared of 6.x. I would like to start working with 6.x, but they don't have it in the plans. Why should I have to spend thousands of dollars to keep myself marketable?
whysguy
Amen, hallelujah...!!! This issue has been sticking in my craw for a while now, so I am going to rant a little.
On face value, it smacks more of a revenue source than a way to build/validate skills. I have spent 4 years as an Interwoven consultant, yet I have to spend thousands for a bootcamp course, plus expenses and lost work, in order to validate that knowledge. Conversely, I just came to a company where the person has about 1 month's experience with Interwoven, but he is certified because his company could fork over the cash for the course. Not to be brash, but I can run circles around him, yet he is certified and I am not.
I can certainly live without certification, but it would be nice for Interwoven to provide a path for someone in my position. I have invested a significant amount of time in the trenches with Interwoven products -- much of the time defending their strengths and compensating for their weaknesses, but the barrier is just too high for me (around $10,00 total between fees, lost income and travel expenses).
I realize that Interwoven can't build a revenue model around a small number of consultants, but it would be nice to have a path for those who have helped make them successful.
Migrateduser
Everyone must make his own cost/benefit analysis of the value of TeamSite certification. I'd like to set the record straight on the cost so people can do this. If you are a TeamSite 5.5 certified consultant, the cost is $600. If you are TeamSite 5.0 certified, the cost is $800. The program is entirely online thru CyberSchool. As a program benefit, you receive a Desktop Developer License. If you have never been certified, you need to attend certification training. We have recently added an option to have half of the training finished remotely at the student's own pace. We know time is money for consultants so we have make great efforts to offer flexible training options. Certification training and the certification program requirements and benefits are well documented under Services on the Interwoven web site for those who want more information.
Kathleen Sullivan
Certification Program Manager
Interwoven
Migrateduser
fo here for more details on attaining TS 6 certification:
http://www.interwoven.com/services/certification/recertification.html
Cheers,
David Yun
Product Manager, Client Tools
dyun@interwoven.com
Ottawa_IWOV
I assume this license is a macID license for one machine. Ergo, I could install it on a development server in a lab environment??
Thanks,
Lucas Cochrane
lucas.cochrane@baucanada.com
Migrateduser
Which is all the more proof that it's a revenue stream and not about actually developing skills. I'm not aware of any other company that requires any amount of on site training just to be allowed to take a certification exam. At one point, the pass rate of the certification exam was being advertised in the high 90s percentile, which also reduces the value of certification. Frankly, the only value I see in it is the free desktop developer's license.
If IWOV wants the revenue, why not just let us buy the license and take the test for $800. Then you guys don't have the expense of staffing a training class. The time, travel, and opportunity cost is a much bigger hit than the money I would be giving to IWOV.
The cost is also a bit frustrating given how quickly certification becomes outdated. An MCSE or a Sun certified java developer will pay a few hundred for their tests, but their certification will be current for 2-4 years. For example, Sun has only now released Solaris 10, so my Solaris admin certification which was only $300 plus the value of some evening study time is just now becoming outdated (and given the time it takes for organizations to do OS upgrades, will probably continue to have some value for a couple of years).
As you point out, it does come down to cost benefit analysis, but I think it's in Interwoven's best interest to not impose artificial barriers on the developer community given that we are often the determining factor in whether an implementation is a rousing success or an embarrassing failure. Certification should demonstrate that a potential hire/consultant has the skills to ensure success, not that they are having difficulty finding work so they have time on their hands to travel to Bethesda and sit in a cram class.
Just my 2c.
Edited by robhuffstedtler on 11/18/04 08:09 AM (server time).
Migrateduser
Your comments are worth far more than $0.02 (and perhaps even more than IWOV's transient certification), but I'm afraid they will likely fall upon deaf ears. It's clear that Interwoven has not:
1. Given adequate thought to their training model,
2. Done their homework in studying how other technology companies are accomplishing this, and
3. Paid reasonable attention to what we developers are saying and also to market trends.
Thanks, Rob... and thanks to Lucas for reviving this topic from its 12-month dormancy.
Dave
Current Environment(s):
(1) TS 6.1 SP1 on W2K3
(2) TS 6.1 SP1 on W2K
(3) TS 5.5.2 SP2 on Win2K
Migrateduser
Everyone:
Desktop Developer Licenses can be purchased from Interwoven for $3,900 for a single-user
license.
We offer TS6 certification which offers a free one-year license to the Desktop Developer License.
Individuals can renew their licenses by maintaining the certification on an annual basis. This is
a lower-cost way to get a Desktop Developer license, in addition to being an excellent way to
remain current on Interwoven software.
We highly recommend our certification program. I do hope their is interest in taking a look at some
of our Learning Services offerings.
Kevin
Migrateduser
Looks like Dave was right - IWOV is immune to seeing that they have a problem in this area. Out of curiousity, I did a quick search on devnet for "certification", and came up with the following results.
NO ONE
has posted a positive experience of IWOV certification without including signficant qualifications (e.g. jmeyer503 says it may not be worth it financially and he has had problems getting the benefits he is entitled to; ghoti doesn't address the cost issue and admits that he has something of a positive bias due to helping design the original program). Those two guys are the only non-IWOV staff who have given a recommendation that was at all positive.
Seven people have expressed negative reactions or concerns about the program, including gzevin who is certified. Of the other six naysayers, at least three have expressed that they would be interested in certification if the price was not out of line with other companies' certification programs, and if it were a more meaningful demonstration of ability.
If the process weren't broken, it seems to me that there should be more people out there expressing a positive view.
Migrateduser
WOW! Okay, so you've clearly done more homework than Interwoven has on this issue. Do you care to post a graph or, better yet, write some multi-dimensional SQL statements to create a database that reflects your findings?
It looks like you're suffering from post-Election Day doldrums of having no pie charts thrown at you for the past 2 1/2 weeks. I can't say I sympathize, but you've just outlined your IWOV Certification exit poll
Congrats,
Dave
Current Environment(s):
(1) TS 6.1 SP1 on W2K3
(2) TS 6.1 SP1 on W2K
(3) TS 5.5.2 SP2 on Win2K
brandon1
I would think the biggest selling point for getting certified would be the number of consultants who had been turned dwon from a gig because they were not "certified" by Interwoven.
My guess is there are not too many of those.
Current Project: TS 6.1
Environment: Solaris
Migrateduser
Brandon,
That's a good point and to be honest, it
has
come up but when I tell a prospective client that I'm not certified, they really don't care... and it's not as though my bill rate had to change as a result, either. I'm sure there are a few companies out there that absolutely require this, but thankfully I have not fun into them yet.
As Rob pointed out, their success rate of 90+% kind of speaks for itself. It's obviously not rigorous enough and it points more to their offering of a cash cow.
Dave
Current Environment(s):
(1) TS 6.1 SP1 on W2K3
(2) TS 6.1 SP1 on W2K
(3) TS 5.5.2 SP2 on Win2K
Ottawa_IWOV
But on one answered my question. Quite the hot topic. I like. After I finish cyberschool, how soon can I get the license?