Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
Should there be a Perl Forum?
System
Someone suggested this to me today. Please post a reply if you concur with this idea. thanks.
lissa
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
Adam Stoller
Hmm - I like the idea - but is it really needed. If one is interested in using Perl within a workflow context - wouldn't it make sense to post within the workflow forum. And if they're using perl within a templating context - wouldn't it make sense to post within the templating forum?
Despite the above hesitancy - I certainly wouldn't have a problem with a forum dedicated to perl issues (though personally, I'd like to see the subscription preferences enabled so I can stop seeing all the user-group forums that I don't really have an interest in)
--fish
Senior Consultant, Quotient Inc.
http://www.quotient-inc.com
Migrateduser
What if you have a question that straddles both or neither? Like when you develop a module that can be used from a presentation template or a workflow, or a command line tool?
Adam Stoller
Okay - fair enough. Sign me up in favor of a perl forum.
(We're probably going to need a Java forum and a .NET forum, and ... )
--fish
Senior Consultant, Quotient Inc.
http://www.quotient-inc.com
Migrateduser
I agree, I was going to include a comment like "but there's a java forum, there should be a Perl forum" in my response to you but then I checked and saw there wasn't one. I think there should also be java and .net forums, maybe even a ContentServices forum. It would also be nice if I could select multiple forums when posting instead of posting to multiple forums or linking, and I strongly agree that we should be able to limit what we see - instead of filtering by topic I would prefer "I never want to see this thread again" or some kind of prioritization ("move so-and-so's posts to the bottom of my resultset" or "never show me posts by so-and-so").
Migrateduser
OK, we'll create a perl forum in the next day or so. As far as cross-listing forum posts, I'll add that to my list of features for our forum software. I don't think our current software can handle that, but I am keeping a list.
At the moment, the CS (ContentServices) questions are in the developer suite forum, along with the UI Toolkit. We'll see how much traffic gets generated, and potentially split that out as needed. In the mean time, I think is is the right place for .Net as well.
Thanks for all the posts on the perl suggestion.
lissa
JonathonG
Respectfully, I would disagree with enabling cross-posting. Usenet allows cross-posting and it is abused more than it is used productively. My problem with cross-posting is that I tend to read *all* the forums, so I end up reading the same post multiple times. In the context of Devnet, I'm not sure there are many questions that should be cross-posted. Spending a couple of minutes thinking about what the question relates to will typically lead to knowledge of where to ask the question. If the question is unanswered in the first forum, then it may be an idea to post to another forum.
Jonathon
Independent Interwoven Contractor
Migrateduser
Good point. I agree that it would be horrible if posts started showing up multiple times. The way I use devnet is to sort by most recent posts - I would never want the same post listed twice. Hopefully the system could be smart enough to prevent this.
JonathonG
So you're suggesting that somehow when you cross-post it remains a single thread? And responses within either forum show up in all forums?
That would alleviate my concerns, but I'm not sure I've ever seen anything like that implemented.
As an ironic side-note, this topic of "Should there be a Perl forum" has turned into a perfect example of what I posted about earlier...I've had to read about it in at least 3 forums...*sigh*
Jonathon
Independent Interwoven Contractor
Migrateduser
I guess that's what I'm suggesting - it would be a single thread. Maybe you could select a primary forum and optional secondary forums.
Actually I don't use the forums. I always sort by date. If something is cross-posted, if I list all posts by date I would want it to show up only once. Being able to select multiple forums in the post would actually make this easier for the system - right now if someone cross posts (actually by posting twice) there is no relationship between the two posts which the system could use, so I will always see it twice.
If you query by forum you wouldn't see the cross-posts, unless they're posted to multiple forums which you check.
Adam Stoller
I think it is *possible* to handle cross-posting correctly - but I also think that given the likely strapped resources, I'd rather time and effort go into other things than trying to build a perfect cross-post-handling forum system...
I'd prefer being able to maintain a true sense of what I have / haven't read - and being able to mark individual messages as un-read so that I can easily find them later.
However, that being said - what I would envision would be:
(a) You indicate the forums you wish to post to at the time of posting - so that you send out a single post with multiple targets.
(b) The system would keep track of forum message-id's, so if you've seen a particular message-id in one forum it won't show it to you [as unread] again in another forum.
(c) If you respond to the post in any forum, it will ensure that the response is cross-posted too (unless you explcitily muck up the forum-recipient list or something)
Something like that ...
--fish
Senior Consultant, Quotient Inc.
http://www.quotient-inc.com
Migrateduser
Perl forum is now live here:
http://devnet.interwoven.com/forums/cgi-bin/postlist.pl?Cat=&Board=perl
Regards,
lissa