Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
Perl IDE?
System
Posting here until there is a Perl forum...
Does anyone have experience with the Perl IDE's (such as ActiveState Komodo)? How well do they work with HTML/XML embedded in Perl code (such as PTs and WFTs)? Is it much better than the simple syntax highlighting provided by TextPad, UltraEdit, etc. (is it worth the financial and time investment)?
TIA,
-John
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
gzevin
IMO, Komodo is not good for IWOV stuff, as you debug/develop in real time, so the only tool you have is text log files. However, if you have Komodo , you could debug regexes....I personally use EditPlus...
that's my 2 cents worth
Greg Zevin, Ph.D. Comp. Sc.
Independent Interwoven Consultant/Architect
Sydney, AU
Migrateduser
Consider using VIM.
It has syntax highlighting too, and it's an extremely powerful
and portable editor (plus fairly compact).
It's what I used to develop the TST compiler!
See:
http://www.vim.org
Ergonomic aside:
I was a long-time Emacs user (~15 years)
before it finally killed my left pinkie due to
all that chording...even with capslock mapped to ctrl and
frequent breaks. Reluctantly, I switched to vim.
During the initial week while I was re-training my fingers,
hitting the escape key to flip between modes drove me
insane. Now I don't even notice.
While I still admire Emacs, and miss a few of the more
exotic things in my .emacs file, what I discovered is that
vim actually provides me more useful power at my fingertips
for everyday things due to the way commands are
composable.
The other nice thing that makes vim ergonomic
is something called the "Comfort Keyboard".
See:
http://www.comfortkeyboard.com/
I bought the cheao black one with the little
non-adjustable stand and threw the stand
away so I just have the separate parts sitting
flat on my desk... they skid occasionally so I
locked them down with putty... but then realized
that the minor variations in position were a plus.
Less repetition in the same position == a good thing.
Anyway, the neat part about this keyboard is that
the left and right side of the spacebar are remappable,
so I have left space bar set to escape. With that,
vim is super nice (escape moves to the thumb).
No, I don't get a commission on these things!
I guess my main point is there's a big difference between
what you can do with an editor/ide in theory and how it
works in practice. Everybody's mileage varies on stuff
like this, so I won't presume to know what's best for you.
For what it's worth, that's my setup & I've found it to be
quite efficient.
Good luck and have fun.
-Jon
Adam Stoller
(side thread)
Despite the pinky problem - I remain a die-hard emacs user.
Now I need to figure out how to get Emacs to run on the latest version of MacOS-X (it worked fine under MacOS 10.2 [jaguar], but doesn't seem to work under 10.3 [panther])
However, to give vi it's due - I do find that there are certain things I use it for, and the limited knowledge I have of it is sufficient for my needs.
Does vim have anything like emacs' indent-region? Where you can select a region of code, hit Esc-Tab and get all the lines to re-indent properly (mostly)?
I have so many customizations in my .emacs file that I've been using for close to 20 years - that trying to switch *completely* over to vim just never enters my mind...
--fish
Senior Consultant, Quotient Inc.
http://www.quotient-inc.com
Migrateduser
The reason I don't use vi is because I eventually have to use notepad (on someone else's machine), Word, etc. and when I hit esc:wq it doesn't do what I want. I don't like to think about typing.