Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
Reverse Deployment To Shared Drive
Gregg Faus
Is it possible to reverse deploy to shared directory on the reverseTarget server?
I'm trying to grab IIS log files and move them to a server that our Web Trends application can access. So far I've had success in getting the log files back to the TeamSite server (on the C: drive, mounted drive, etc), but don't know if is possible to write these files to a share.
I've heard that this is possible, but maybe I'm mislead. I've tried "area" variations like the following:
<targetFilesystem area="\\pidev01\logs"/>
<targetFilesystem area="//pidev01/logs"/>
<targetFilesystem area="//pidev01/e$/logs"/>
I'm also changing the allowedDirectories path in odBase.xml everytime I try a new config.
Base server info:
* 5.6.0.1.0 Build 21220 Interwoven 20030618
* Win2k - TS 5.5.2
* OD Service running under domain account that has access to this share
Any help would be appreciated.
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
Adam Stoller
Have you tried mapping a drive to the UNC path, having that drive / path within the allowedDirectories in the odbase.xml and using that drive / path as the target area?
I don't recall if UNC paths were implemented in 5.6 - I remember them being on a list of feature requests but ...
--fish
Senior Consultant, Quotient Inc.
http://www.quotient-inc.com
Migrateduser
UNC path naming is not supported. You need to map to a drive letter.
I've done forward deployments to mapped drives, but haven't tried reverse. I imagine it should work though. You need to make sure that the OD service is running as a user with sufficient authority to read/write to the mapped drive.
Todd Scallan
Group Product Manager
Interwoven
t: 408-530-7167
e:
tscallan@interwoven.com
Gregg Faus
I tried mapping a drive to the UNC path under the domain account I have running the OpenDeploy service. It actually worked when I logged in as this user and ran the deployment. But when I logged off (the normal scenario), it couldn't find my mapped drive.
I used a persistent mapped drive:
NET USE U: \\server\share /PERSISTENT:YES
I guess if the deployment is run under this account it won't use the mapped drive info contained in the profile unless logged in.
I'm at a loss now, looks like I may have to move these files locally off TeamSite on a schedule.
Adam Stoller
Hmm - I was going to suggest having a dnrDeploymentJob run before the deployment to setup the mapped drive - but the dnrDeploymentJob directive only operates on the source side, and in the case of a reverse deployment - the source side is actually the Receiver not the BaseServer and it's the BaseServer where you'd need to create the mapped drive.
So then the next idea is having a dnrDeployment directive to run on the 'target' side 'before' anything else to set up the mapped drive - this might work as long as OD doesn't try to verify the existance of the target directory path before the DNR runs....
--fish
Senior Consultant, Quotient Inc.
http://www.quotient-inc.com
Gregg Faus
I'll give that a shot. This will be my first opportunity to use DnR. What a joy
I'm still wondering how Todd got his to work. Like I said before, I would have to keep the machine locked under the service account for it to work.
out.pdf
Gregg Faus
Success.
I finally figured out everything. Thanks for the DNR suggestion.
So to complete a reverse deployment to a shared drive on Win2k you must do the following:
1) Change the service accn't for OpenDeploy to a domain account (or account that has rights to the share you will create)
2) Add your shared servername to odbase.xml. For example:
<node host="pidev01">
<allowedDirectories>
<path name="W:\VWServer1"/>
</allowedDirectories>
</node>
3) Then create a reverse deploy config with a DNR task. The "reverseSource" should be the server you wish to copy files *from* and the "reverseTarget" should be the OD admin server. Here is a sample DNR config::
<execDeploymentTask useDefinition="log_reverse_deploy">
<deployNRun>
<dnrDeployment location="target" when="before" state="always">
<script cmd="e:\jobs\servernamehere_logs_map_drive.bat" async="false"/>
</dnrDeployment>
</deployNRun>
</execDeploymentTask>
4) Create the batch file to map the drive. For example (servernamehere_logs_map_drive.bat):
@echo
OFF
NET USE W: \\pidev01\logs /PERSISTENT:YES
5) Then create your network share and make sure the service account listed in step #1 has modify rights.
That setup worked for me.
Thanks to all.