Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
Email Message Generation Techniques
System
I've been asked to come up with a standard for generating workflow email messages for this project.
I have seen a number of techniques for generating email and I am wondering if people can list the pros and cons of the methods they are using. The ways I know of include:
-Generating the entire message from Perl - embedding HTML in Perl can lead to code that is difficult to read
-Using custom (html) configuration files with token substitution - this can lead to a large number of configuration files
-Using presentation templates - this also would seem to result in a lot of files and could be considered overkill
What other approaches are available? Is anyone using Job XML with XSL?
I guess I'm leaning towards the config file with token substitution, which I've had good luck with on previous projects, but I'm wondering what the consensus might be. Of course there would have to be some logic around the config files, but the less HTML mixed with Perl, the better (at least that's my opinion).
For better or worse, a lot of environments let "config" changes through to production a lot more easily than "code" changes, so if the work is done in TPL/Perl/PM it can be harder to get fixes in than if it's done with config files/xsl.
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
Migrateduser
John,
I have also had good success with the configuration file with token substitution. If you keep your configurations in a specific directory, and give them useful file names, it shouldn't be a problem how many there are. Currently, I have a program that does this and allows task comments, file listing (with customizable CCI links), task and job descriptions, and task and job names. It also uses either iPlanet LDAP or an email mapping file to determine email addresses from the user ID.
- Jason
Johnny
Ive found that the template based (TST) email works quite well.
I did make a handful of changes for our needs, but i think it makes an overall great solution using common tools.
If you put a little planning to your PT's and with a few minor tweaks to the script iw_solution_email.ipl (create a copy in custom/bin) you will have a nice solution that can use a property file ( you can use TeamSite::ResourceBundle to read JAVA style bundles/property files) for standard messages, with separate PT's for different style/purpose emails.
John Cuiuli