Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
Virus Protection on the TeamSite Backing Store
whysguy
Greetings,
I am evaluating how my client is using anti-virus software on the TeamSite servers and I am looking for some guidance on how the AV software interacts with the backing store (i.e., in the iw-store directory - I know how to treat the virtual drive).
Specifically, what should the AV software do when it finds a problem with one of the files in the backing store - delete, fix, quarantine, ignore and shut-down services? My concern is that if the AV software detects a problem with a file in the backing store, and it takes some action, then I will likely have backing-store corruption.
Is there a best practice for these specific AV settings? As I have researched the issue I see information about how to treat the y-drive, but not how to handle problems with files in the backing store.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
- Billy
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
gzevin
If I were you, I would not use AV software on the raw backing store. And there is no sense anyway.
Greg Zevin, Ph.D. Comp. Sc.
Independent Interwoven Consultant/Architect
Sydney, AU
Migrateduser
We have an anti-virus scan run on files in our submit workflow. An AV program is not likely to be of much help in correcting a problem once it's in the backing store. Though it's still useful to have it report any detected there, as long as you have frequent, reliable backups.
Adam Stoller
You have to be VERY careful if you want to run AV software on your backing store.
1) if it quarantines / removes a file in your backing store - your backing store is then corrupted.
2) If it modifies files within your backing store - your backing store may be corrupted, or may at least display some unpleasant characteristics - like showing all the files as having been modified.
3) If you run AV software on the workareas themselves (Y:/... or /archive/main/...) then you will almost definitely start to see all files modified [on Windows at least] unless you explicitly configure the program *not* to touch the 'archive' bit on the files it processes.
Basically - you're much better off if you configure a step in the workflow process to scan the file *before* submitting it to staging - and never running an AV program on your backing store or workarea (as a whole).
--fish
Senior Consultant, Quotient Inc.
http://www.quotient-inc.com
Migrateduser
Or if it's an oiption run the vs on a copy of the backing store, maybe from a backup, just to identify potential problems.