Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
Sub-branch content inheritance
NickAustin74
I'm about to start developing for an international site in 5 different languages. I know that you cannot share DCRs between branches, but what about sub-branches? I'd like to setup the branching structure to be like this:
/default/main/mycompany
/default/main/mycompany/us
/default/main/mycompany/jp
/default/main/mycompany/de
etc...
The reason I'm thinking about subbranches is that the sites will not be 100% alike, and may even live at different physical servers (so I don't want to deploy files that arn't necessary for a given language). Some files will be in common though (like company logo, and most of the cosmetic stuff).
To keep it organized and neat and clean I was hoping to maybe use subbranches. If this means though that my content from /default/main/mycompany can't be used in /us,jp,de, etc. then I'll have to go another route.
Does anyone have experience with this or done a setup that's working out well for them for the situation I described?
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
Migrateduser
You cannot share DCRs (or other files) across sub-branches either. A sub-branch is just a separate branch that happens to be located under anther.
You can setup workflows to propagate changes from one branch to another. If you can determine the branch in which a file should reside by its name or path, then you could set up a virtualized view of your we site so the requests are redirected to the appropriate branch.
Brinko Kobrin
Interwoven Staff Engineer
gzevin
adding to brinko - yes, sharing of DCRs is impossible between branches, but I did once develop an architecture for multi-language sites that included 're-purposing' of content, that involved propagating a DCR from one workarea to another in a subbranch.
Also, as I mentioned earlier in a separate topic, one could also 'share' their DCTs by using inline callouts.
Greg Zevin, Ph.D. Comp. Sc.
Independent Interwoven Consultant/Architect
Sydney, AU
JonathonG
Also, if you're talking about files that you reference (either images or includes), those can be shared using proxy re-mapping. I mention this because you talked about company logo and cosmetic stuff.
Jonathon
Independent Interwoven Contractor