Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
R U Using Workflowbuilder?
nico
I'm new to workflow development and by reading several of these posts, I don't see much mention of workflow builder. Seems like a really good R.A.D. tool for busting out workflows, but in real practice are any of you using it? And your feedback as to why or why not would also be helpful.
Thanks,
Nico
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
nipper
Do you still prgram is Basic ?
I think not.
Actually WFB can be used as a decent starting point. Something to build up tthe XML in a reasonably structured way. It can get you 60-80% of the way there.
The problem with WFB is two fold. First it cannot do everything. Thus when you need to do some other stuff that is common in WF you start hacking Perl/XML yourself. At that point WFB is unusable since you cannot bring those changes back into WFB. An example of a task that WFB cannot (or could not before, have not tried lately) do is: If the file submitted looks like this (type directory, name , etc) bypass this approval step. 10 minutes worth of Perl/XML hacking (if condition in perl change timeout to 0) .
Second WFB is helpful for initial development (building XML) but it is cumbersome for debugging and incremental development.
But the most important reason not to use WFB is the ridicule you will receive on DevNet. :-)
HTH
Andy
Migrateduser
If you are new to WF development, the new workflows provided in 5.5.2 SP2 or 3 (I forget which) and later, are the best starting points. They are easily customizable with config files to start. After that, you can re-use and modify the code provided, and do more complex things.
You may also wish to take advantage of a cyberschool library card and take some of the web-based training on WF.
Good luck.
lissa
whysguy
I agree whole-heartedly with Nipper, Workflow Builder can get you started, and more than half way, but it can only take you so far in the development process before you have to abandon it. Basically, if you are new to workflow development it can be a good starting point and a good tool for learning the basics. I was pretty excited when it first came out because I hadn't done much workflow development at that point - and frankly I needed a helping-hand to get up to speed. What I found helpful at that time was to model the workflow in Workflow Builder, and to code the "last mile" directly within the generated wft file. After a while I stopped using it all-together, but it was a good tool for a beginner.
Another thing to keep in mind is that if you use Worlflow Builder in client-server mode, it will write directly to your available_templates.cfg file. This has the obvious dangers in an Enterprise environment and it is not very scalable, especially if you have a large developer community and you take change management serious when it comes to the global configuration files in your TeamSite environment.
With all of that being said, I disavow any past usage of Workflow builder, and I plead for the mercy of those who would ridicule me for having used it in the ignorance of my youth ;-).
- Billy
gzevin
none of interwoven-employed consultants ever used WFB. ditto.
Greg Zevin, Ph.D. Comp. Sc.
Independent Interwoven Consultant/Architect
Sydney, AU
iwovGraduate
I might be the exception on this one.
For the records, on one occation, as an interwoven-employed consultant (which I am not anymore), I did use WFB (which was not my call) for customer who was quite happy with it at that time. Basically they really didn't need any fancy customizations. Although I doubt if they still use WFB for all their wfts, this certainly made the learning easy for them.
Personally, I don't use WFB unless I have to show somebody how to use it.
I am just not paid enough to develop workflows with WFB
gzevin
well, I also used it on one ocassion - just to understand that this is the tool that I'd never use again
)
But in real situation - NOOOOOOO... It was a still-born baby ....
Greg Zevin, Ph.D. Comp. Sc.
Independent Interwoven Consultant/Architect
Sydney, AU