Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
iwjobc questions
Paul
I have been asked to automatically kick off a workflow based on finding a new document(s) in a directory.
I am trying to figure out the steps that this should go through to accomplish this. I wish to have a Perl script that polls the directory in questions for changes. If it finds any changes it would compile a list of files that have changed and start a workflow. My question is should I also use this perl script to generate the job specification file or should I reference an external job specification file and somehow add the file list to that? This workflow will have various external tasks, group tasks and deployment steps. Will this limit what I can and cannot do with iwjobc? Am I on the right track or heading for disaster?
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
nipper
You have a couple choices. You can use iwwft_compile.ipl to take a non-dynamic WF (i.e. no template script) to push the file out. That is a decent way to use a wft file to push out content. If you use a lot of perl to customize the XML before it is generated, that will not work.
That is probably the better approach than to try to generate the XML every time. It takes a small XML file to put the appropriate parameters (comment, user, etc) for the WFT to instantiate.
BTW, you need master rights to kick off jobc.
HTH,
Andy
Paul
Thanks Andy -
All of our workflows are heavily customized with Perl and this one will be no exception.
parameters, concurrent/optional reviews, variable reject paths, etc.
As for kicking this off, this would be based upon and run from a script so no user would be directly calling iwjobc hmm an interesting consideration.
Billing_Project.docx
james1
iwwft_compile.ipl gladly works with WFTs that contain <template_script> sections. Have you witnessed differently?
-- James
--
James H Koh
Interwoven Engineering
pflory
Paul,
A popular option is to allow a scheduler (cron or Windows' scheduler) to periodically initiate jobs. For example, cron might run your custom perl script every night, which in turn finds new/modified/whatever files and spawns TS jobs. Typically the commands iwjobc and iwinvokejob are employed.
A less common approach is to use TS triggers to "watch" for file system changes and the like and handle file changes on the fly. Look into the iwat command for more detail.
-Paul
Paul Flory
nipper
> iwwft_compile.ipl gladly works with WFTs that contain <template_script> sections. Have you witnessed differently?
Not according to your support line. I had a fairly dynamic WFT that used template script to build the XML. That piece was totally ignored by iwwft_compile
When I reported it to support they said that "Dynamic WFs are not supported by iwwft_compile".
Andy
nipper
I suggest you try iwwft_compile. First run the WFT and same the XML file yourself then try to compile it. See if the results are the same. They were drasticaly different for me. Like I said, templatescript was ignored. James (who should no) thinks this should not happen.
Andy