Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
submit direct + overwrite + no get latest = revert
nipper
This bit us on our config branch.
One person renamed a directory and just did a submit direct to clean up, with overwrite.
View modified showed only the rename, HOWEVER since they had not done a get latest, it REVERTED all the changes in Staging back the version his workarea had.
So, how can I prevent this in the future ? No question he should have view_modified, selected the changes and submitted. Compare will not allow you to submit, that would have shown the conflict. I do not want to turn off submit_direct (since that is role based, if he loses it so do I)
I am rather surprised that this does not pop up a warning, even with overwrite on.
If I edit an old file, it gives me a warning & makes it very hard to step on someones changes. Why is this so easy ?
Here is a fun test, (on an OLD branch) create a WA off an old edition. Do a list modified (shows nothing), click overwrite and submit direct. It will tell you conflicts are overwritten, but it will also revert all changes.
This stinks like a bug since, if I make a change and submit direct (without the overwrite flag) only my modified files go. But if I use the overwrite flag, EVERY difference goes.
Call me stupid, but the overwrite filag should not expand or change the list of files to be submitted. It should, when there are conflicts, automatically push the changes.
Still cleaning up the mess....
Andy
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
Michael
Hi Andy,
I have done pretty much the same thing previously -- you certainly don't forget it
Using Submit-Direct with nothing selected and overwrite on is powerful stuff. I'm not sure if you could consider it a bug though -- it does pretty much what it says on the tin: Submit these files (which files, well nothing is selected, so all files) and overwrite what is in Staging.
In your example you presumably start with an up to date workspace, edit a file and submit without overwrite. You say that only your modified files go but really all your files have gone, it is just that all but one were already up to date. So really the list of files submitted didn't change... or at least that is the (twisted?) way in which I see it.
I guess it is more of an issue where your workspace has not done a Get Latest in which case even files which were not present in the workarea are deleted from staging.
Perhaps the bug is more in why when you do this list modified
"Here is a fun test, (on an OLD branch) create a WA off an old edition. Do a list modified (shows nothing), click overwrite and submit direct. It will tell you conflicts are overwritten, but it will also revert all changes."
Why doesn't TeamSite indicate that many of your files are not in sync with Staging?
I don't believe submit_direct exists in the new TS6 interface so perhaps you want to start learning how to live without it?
Cheerio, Michael