Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
change group info for branches
liw5215
Hi, Everybody,
We have over TWO hundred hierarchical branches set up for over 1 years. There are tons of stuffs under each branch. Right now each branch is owned by a group id, so we have over 200 hundred groups. it is a nightmare. so we want to reduce the group id to about 10, so we need to change group owner info for each branch. what is the best way to do it? Thanks a lot.
Will
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
JonathonG
What OS/TS version are you using?
This may affect the answer to your question. As a starting point, you might try iwchgrp, but I'm not sure what release that came into being (its in 5.5.2), nor if it works on all platforms. I seem to recall there being issues with it on Windows.
Jonathon
Independent Interwoven Contractor
liw5215
Hi Johnathon,
Thank you for your reply.
We are running TS 5.5.2 on Solaris 2.8.
I can not find command "iwchgrp" in the system. where is it located?
Thanks
Will
Adam Stoller
If you're on Solaris - just use chgrp (as opposed to iwchgrp)
--fish
Senior Consultant, Quotient Inc.
http://www.quotient-inc.com
liw5215
Thank you, Fish!
Can I use "chgrp" to change group for all those IW directoris like STAGING, EDITION and WORKAREA?
Will
Adam Stoller
You can only run chgrp on the WORKAREA/**** directory and it's contents.
You cannot run chgrp on the WORKAREA directory itself, nor anywhere under and including STAGING or EDITION - as those are treated as read-only directories / directory trees.
--fish
Senior Consultant, Quotient Inc.
http://www.quotient-inc.com
liw5215
So, what can I do about those 200+ branches with wrong group info?
I am looking at iwidmap stuff. is there anything over there I can hacker?
or worse scenario, iwmigrate to a temp backstore and iwmigrate them back?
Any advice are greatly appreciated!
Will
Migrateduser
Just change the group of the branch directory itself. That's all you need to do.
Dave Smith
Sr. Software Engineer
Nike, Inc.
(503) 671-4238
DavidH.Smith@nike.com
liw5215
Thank you, David.
How are about EDITION, STAGING and WORKAREA directories? no file permission issue if we only change branche directory itself?
THX
Will
QueuingSTS.docx
Migrateduser
Are you saying that when you list the files in your branch directory, it shows that the WORKAREA, STAGING, and EDITION directories are group owned by the same group your branch is currently owned by? If that's the case, I think you're screwed - I don't think you can change the group owner of these directories. If you are looking to eliminate groups and the groups you want to eliminate are assigned to those special directories, that could be a showstopper. I can't check my own group owners for these areas because I have the stupid flag set that shows everything is group-owned by my primary group when I look in the filesystem.
Dave Smith
Sr. Software Engineer
Nike, Inc.
(503) 671-4238
DavidH.Smith@nike.com
liw5215
Dave,
look thisas example, it is Communications branch.it has a lot of sub-branches under it, each is belonged to different group. check the directories WORKREA, EDITION and STAGING. now they are owned by group comm, which also owns Communication branch. I want change comm among other 200+ group to be one single group called "portal", so webadmin
ortal will be the owner/group for all branches.
THX
Will
ceu4294 /default/main/portal/function/Communications -- $ ll
drwxrwsr-x 5 webadmin cobm 512 Nov 15 22:20 BrandMgmt
drwxrwsr-x 5 webadmin coce 512 Nov 15 22:20 CorpEvMktg
drwxrwsr-x 5 webadmin nobody 512 Nov 15 22:20 CorpRel
dr-xr-xr-x 4 webadmin comm 512 Nov 16 16:48 EDITION
drwxrwsr-x 5 webadmin coia 512 Nov 15 22:20 IndAnalRel
drwxrwsr-x 12 webadmin coic 512 Nov 15 22:20 InternalComm
drwxrwsr-x 8 webadmin copr 512 Nov 15 22:20 MediaPR
drwxrwsr-x 5 webadmin coos 512 Nov 15 22:20 OnlineStrat
dr-xr-xr-x 10 webadmin comm 512 Nov 16 16:26 STAGING
drwxrwsr-x 5 webadmin cosp 512 Nov 15 22:21 Sponsorships
drwxrwsr-x 5 webadmin cotr 512 Nov 15 22:21 Tradeshows
drwxrwsr-x 5 webadmin covm 512 Nov 15 22:21 VisualMedia
dr-xr-xr-x 3 webadmin comm 512 Nov 16 20:48 WORKAREA
JonathonG
I *believe* TeamSite makes the group owner on those "special" directories the same as the group owner for the branch. So, chgrp on the branch, and the others should come along for the ride.
Jonathon
Independent Interwoven Contractor
QueuingSTS.docx
Migrateduser
That makes a lot of sense. I can definitely see that when you initially set the branch up, TeamSite filters the group ownership of the branch down to those directories. The question is - will it do the same thing if you change the branch group via the filesystem? Let's hope so. It's worth a try with one of the branches.
Dave Smith
Sr. Software Engineer
Nike, Inc.
(503) 671-4238
DavidH.Smith@nike.com
james1
Last time I checked, the special directories EDITION, STAGING, and WORKAREA remain owned by the original owner of the branch. However, the ownership of these directories doesn't really matter, except for asthetics. Last time I checked, there was no way to change the ownership of these 3 special directories.
-- James
--
James H Koh
Interwoven Engineering
Migrateduser
But James, the guy wants to eliminate those groups from the system. If they remain owned by those groups, he won't be able to eliminate them.
Dave Smith
Sr. Software Engineer
Nike, Inc.
(503) 671-4238
DavidH.Smith@nike.com
liw5215
Thanks Dave/James,
So after changing group ownship of the brancb, leaving WORKAREA/STAGING/EDITION group info unchanged, we will NOT run into file permission issue? because there will be two different groups owning those branch/directories.
THX
Will
Edited by liw5215 on 02/26/04 02:15 PM (server time).
james1
> But James, the guy wants to eliminate those groups from the
> system. If they remain owned by those groups, he won't be able
> to eliminate them.
Sure he can. If the name of that group is "foo", and if gid of that group is "12345", then after removing the group "foo", "12345" is what "ls" will show you as the owner. And of course, no user or process will ever belong to that group. Unless a new group is created with that gid.
-- James
--
James H Koh
Interwoven Engineering
james1
I'm not 100% sure I understand what you're asking here, but I can say with confidence that the sub-directories named "EDITION", "STAGING", and "WORKAREA" of a branch's directory can have any ownership and permissions, they will not affect the behavior of the server at all. (I don't think it's possible to modify the permissions of those directories.)
-- James
--
James H Koh
Interwoven Engineering
Migrateduser
That seems really messy, regardless if it doesn't change the behavior of the sytem. I think that leaving orphaned uid's or gid's is not the right thing to do. That happened a lot when we migrated from 4.2 to 5.5.2 and it was a mess to fix back up, but that also was because the orphaned id's were all in places where people actually needed to work on things. I just think that's a bad practice to get yourself into.
Dave Smith
Sr. Software Engineer
Nike, Inc.
(503) 671-4238
DavidH.Smith@nike.com
OpenText StreamServe 562 VPOM integration_overview.pptx
Adam Stoller
I believe you can use iwidmap to replace the orphaned uid/gid's with other uid/gid's -- though I seem to recall having problems getting it to work the way I expected the last time I tried using it (but that was a while ago)
--fish
Senior Consultant, Quotient Inc.
http://www.quotient-inc.com