Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
Tagging interface in TS 6 when tagging mult. files
gzevin
I've asked a similar question before, but decided to ask before 6.1 is launched.
The interface allows for tabs (that contain grouped metadata fields) when tagging a single file, but those tabs disappear when multiple files are tagged (and this happens in CC STD Wizard with essentialy every templated file, because both DCR and generated file are tagged). This multiple files' interface is in my opinion, extremely ugly and ineficient, and this is a departure from previous functionality, when one could switch from multiple/individual file tagging with one click.
so, the question is - is anything being done to fix this?
my client, a largest single organisation in Australia, is extremely annoyed by this, and we'll have to do business process workarounds, if this is not fixed ASAP.
Greg Zevin, Ph.D. Comp. Sc.
Independent Interwoven Consultant/Architect
Sydney, AU
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
Adam Stoller
Actually - this is the way the MetaTagger interface has looked since it was released, and since that is now what is used within TeamSite 6 - you're just seeing it now.
I believe there were several feature requests logged to get the tabbed interface to work with multiple files, but I'm not sure what happened with them - I suggest you check with Support for existing requests and/or to file a new one for your customer.
My customer's use of MDC (they're still in 5.5.2 right now) is to set the MD on the DCR - via a cgi-callout button in the DCT, and then the process used for generating the files takes care of copying the MD from the DCR to each of the generated pages (with some specific modifications where deemed necessary). In this respect, I don't think the multi-file interface for MDC will come into play when we eventually upgrade to 6.0, so I won't really have a customer-backed use-case to drive such a request.
--fish
Senior Consultant, Quotient Inc.
http://www.quotient-inc.com
configuration_1.docx
gzevin
Adam,
yes, I know how it looked, and actually I *WAS* asked many times, whether I find it ugly and unusable.
My client used to capture metadata probably similarly in a way with what you describe. With TS 6 we want to standartise on the new interface, so I am preparing conversion routines and new workflows to make the things uniform.... (and I believe that MD should be stored with the target generated file , in general).
Ok, I''ll take the issue to support and with the product managers.
Greg Zevin, Ph.D. Comp. Sc.
Independent Interwoven Consultant/Architect
Sydney, AU
Koen
Hi Greg,
I personally prefer the multi-tagging interface.
What's very confusing, though, is the fact that the interface changes for single files. LB suggested to maybe add a dummy file to every workflow.
On another note: I find it absurd that deleted files and DCR's are "metatagged" (be it under a no-rules group). It's easy to change the metatagger CGI to exclude the deleted and DCR files from being tagged.
cheers,
Koen
gzevin
Hi Koen,
you probably have not seen the set of metadata I am dealing with, so imagine having aroun 60 an even more fields, that the user got use to see in a nicely separated tabs (that are a selling point, by the way, by Interwoven) - all in one column.
this is not about personal preferences, but about usability.
I am not sure also what CGI you are talking about, as in TS 6 there are NO CGIs by default, all thsese are JSPs.
however, I more than agree that tagging DCRs and deleted files is an utter absurd. However, product development at IVOW somehow doesn't think so. And the tradegy is that one cannot configure the wizard at the moment to remove this 'functionality'.
Greg Zevin, Ph.D. Comp. Sc.
Independent Interwoven Consultant/Architect
Sydney, AU
Migrateduser
Hi Greg,
In TS 6.1 we awill allow the admin to set up reg-ex's to block tagging of certain files. So, the single form edit should have a single metadata form.
I've filed a separate FR for you to get the ability to go from single file to multi-file tagging mode within the new UI.
Thanks,
David Yun
Sr. Product Manager, TeamSIte
dyun@interwoven.com
configurations 3.docx
Adam Stoller
Will the regex work to avoid trying to tag deleted files? (I don't think so) - if not, could you please make sure there's a ticket open for that too....
--fish
Senior Consultant, Quotient Inc.
http://www.quotient-inc.com
gzevin
David,
in addition to my mail message, another thankyou!
Greg Zevin, Ph.D. Comp. Sc.
Independent Interwoven Consultant/Architect
Sydney, AU
DavidMusser
6.5 is the default for Deleted files the following: Tagging has been disabled for this file type :
When I try to tag a deleted file I get the above Tagging has been disabled... we are trying to track things in metadata for who requested the change etc. Is it possible to turn this back on for deleted files?
David R Musser
Eye Street Software
540-542-5257
dmusser@eyestreet.com
Win2k, TS 6.5 SP1, OD 6.01
Adam Stoller
It doesn't make sense to tag a deleted file.
It makes sense perhaps to tag the file *before* you delete it - though it seems a bit odd even then:
select file for deletion
tag file indicating it is to be deleted, by whom, etc.
submit file (to store tag)
delete file
submit deletion
--fish
Senior Consultant, Quotient Inc.
http://www.quotient-inc.com
DavidMusser
That takes a lot of steps... would be easier to allow tags to be stored with the deletion, since technically a deleted version of a file is still a version right? The workflow can track this in the comments, as well, but it would be nice to be able to use the same mechanism for everything.
So either a Metadata capture like comment's interface where you can store comments better than now, or store the metadata on a deleted file... so in other words.
User deletes file
Workflow wizard starts
Prompts for general workflow stuff
Metadata Tag Screen starts (since I'm using the immediate option)
User applies MT, hits done and away goes the workflow.
This way i could have the same mechanism for new content/updates, and deletions. Not a seperate process.
Anyway just wondered if this was an option that could be turned on or off.
David R Musser
Eye Street Software
540-542-5257
dmusser@eyestreet.com
Win2k, TS 6.5 SP1, OD 6.01
config4.docx
Adam Stoller
Maybe it's just me - but you seem to be lacking logic in your statements.
When you delete a file - it no longer exists within the workarea to be tagged.
That's why I said you had to tag it prior to deletion.
The trick is to try and hide as much of the procedural steps from your users - as far as they're concerned they should just think they're deleting a file and be done with it - the rest should all be automated.
--fish
Senior Consultant, Quotient Inc.
http://www.quotient-inc.com
DavidMusser
Fish,
In the CC Pro Interface if you delete a file it shows up in the GUI with an X through it, so that you can then submit the file.
In the CC Std Interface if you delete a file the wizard starts, and if you have the workflow setup to call the Tagging UI it says tagging has been disabeled for this file type.
I know that I can tell the users to tag the files first, but isn't that what workflows for?
As far as the logic for metadata on deleted versions of files... One Item I want to track is when a file that expired was actually removed, and who approved it's removal. Now I know I can track this other ways, but it woudl be nice to have all the info together.
Example.
User Created file foo.htm, file is live for a long time.
another user deletes foo.htm
now later on another user creates foo.htm
If you check the properties of the file you see the deleted version, and the comments that were submited, but no TAG option. So the only way to know anything about this is to dump it into the coments.... Which just doesn't look good... oh well.... such is life
-D
David R Musser
Eye Street Software
540-542-5257
dmusser@eyestreet.com
Win2k, TS 6.5 SP1, OD 6.01
Adam Stoller
I'm suggesting you replace the OOTB Delete function with a custom Delete function - that allows you to tag the file first (either explicitly through the Set Metadata interface or behind the scenes using iwextattr) - then submit, delete, submit the file. Doing it this way, you can prompt the user for their reasons for deleting the file and then tag it.
Alternatively, if you need a review process - have the custom menu item replacement for the Delete function initiate a special "Delete" workflow - that does all of the above including having a review step.
--fish
Senior Consultant, Quotient Inc.
http://www.quotient-inc.com
DavidMusser
Fish, that sounds like work either way :-) Would have been easier if it could be something that you could turn on for deleted content... but oh well. :-)
Thanks again... I just wanted to make sure that it wasn't something that could be turned on or off.
-D
David R Musser
Eye Street Software
540-542-5257
dmusser@eyestreet.com
Win2k, TS 6.5 SP1, OD 6.01