Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
DCT Performance
Kallattil
We have a DCT with 6 levels of nested replicants. When business users create DCRs of large size (about 250 - 300 K), The DCR takes about 3.5 minutes to open on a high speed machine (P4 and 1GB memory). On a regular office workstation, it takes about 10-15 minutes to open.
I am looking for ways to resolve this problem.
Looking for some suggestions as to how to handle with DCTs having large number of replicants and many nested levels.
Any ideas/suggestions are more than welcome.
Thanks
Vijayan
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
tvaughan
Do you have VisualFormat enabled at each level of the replicant? That will kill you right off the bat. . . .
If you just have 'normal' components in your replicants, I guess it is just a matter of XML parsing/DCT rendering that you're not going to get away from.
An extreme solution might be to come up with a "DCT for the DCT". Something like this: you break up your DCRs into smaller components (what you now edit as a replicant) and create a DCR to edit the individual components. If you need to see the bird's eye view, edit a master DCT that includes each of the smaller DCRs as filenames that could be edited via a CGI callout or something. This would be a *lot* of work, and I'm not even sure TST would let you do it.
Tom
Kallattil
I do not have VFE enabled for any of the elements. I will go with your comment on "living with teamsite for lasrge DCrs"
Gregg Faus
I've had this happen where the original template design was fine up front, but as the DCR grew it was time to rethink the design. I did as tvaughn suggested and broke each main replicant into separate dcrs. Then I re-joined them in the presentation template.
Adam Stoller
You might also be able to paginate them rather than breaing them into separate DCTs/DCRs...
--fish
Senior Consultant, Quotient Inc.
http://www.quotient-inc.com
doubleUnderline.ssd
Kallattil
The performance we get is being questioned by the users f the tool in our company. I have a DCR with 225 K size. This DCR has about 200 first level replicants in it. Each replicant has 4 fields (text boxes). You know how much it takes to load this DCR for Editing..! About 7 minutes..
From then, every click for adding a replicant or deleting and saving etc takes same amount of time. I believe there is a lot of client JS activity is happening which causes high CPU usage. But for a regular organization, 25 K data size in one DCR is nothing.
Internet Explorer window takes 99% of teh CPU for about 5 minutes. Memory went up to 190 MB. I have a laptop with Pentium 4, 2GHz and 1GB memory. On a regular work station, it will freeze up the whole system.
If anyone from interwoven is seeing this forum, I would like to get their opinion on this issue. We are TS 552 on Windows 2000 server. With all the latest patches.(for Teamsite and templating). Either I am doing some thing wrong here or there is a serious performance issue with Teamsite 552 on Windows.
Appreciate any help in this matter.
Thanks in advance,
Vijayan
Adam Stoller
Have you tried paginating the DCT so that you have, say 10-20 top-level replicants per page instead of all 200 on a single page?
You're probably paying a heavy price for all the redrawing / rendering taking place when the DCT loads up and whenever you make a change that requires a redraw.
--fish
Senior Consultant, Quotient Inc.
http://www.quotient-inc.com
phd
We have a similar problem. In our case a DCR take 50 secs to open in Internet Explorer and 5 secs in Netscape. We have reported this back to Interwoven support and hopefully they will comeback with some resolution.
Do you have a option to use netscape? Maybe you want to try that.
Cheers
Pawan
Kallattil
We can not paginate the DCR effectively becuase we are capturing menu navigation tree int he DCR. When you paginate, it breaks up the DCR in places that are not logical. Is there a way to insert the page break in a place of our choice?
I will try to use Netscape and see if it helps. I remeber reading somehwhere that Teamsite does not workk in Netscape. I will give it a try anyway. I do not know if Netscape is a supported browser from Interwoven.
JonathonG
Pagination works based on "top level items" in your DCT. To control pagination, standard practice is to use containers at the top level to group items into pages. So, you'd typically set top level items in templating.cfg to 1. That way, each container (at the top level) gets its own page.
The one drawback to this is that it changes the data structure. Any references you have to the "address" of an item will have to be updated to include the item's container name. E.g. If you have an item that was formerly addressed as "/foo" and you put it in a container called page3 (to get it on page 3), its new address is "/page3/foo"
Jonathon
Independent Interwoven Contractor
AKB
Well I think FormAPI is not supported in Netscape. At our place we have 4 levels. We did seperate the fourth level into a seperate DCR. In this new DCR we populate level1, level2 and level3 drop down by parsing the xml generated from the first DCR (which has replicant for level1, level2, level3). Performance looks ok. At the same time might go for additional DCRs if performance looks bad.