Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
Tracking TS users
msrich
W2K TS 5.5.2 + SP4
Does TS leave a footprint on clients and/or server that I can examine to get a good idea about how many users and which ones are using TeamSite on my server?
I'm familiar with the IWRecentUsers CLT, but I don't think this gives an accurate picture. If this is all that's available, maybe someone could offer an explanation about how it's used in practice. Thanks.
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
nipper
iwrecentusers is worthless.
We parse the logs (which are cycled monthly) and then look for logins (the cookie is on a 24 hour timeout). So we can tell how often users have logged into TeamSite.
HTH
Andy
nipper
This is the script I use on Unix (so finger will not work on DOS): All finger does is replace the login name (aknipp) with real name (Andy Knipp). I could have parsed /etc/passwd which would be faster, but this runs once a month & I am lazy.
check the file /iw-home/local/logs/iwui/servletd.log
#!/iw-home/iw-perl/bin/iwperl
my $fname = shift;
my $cnt =0;
open(IN, "<$fname") || die " '$fname' ($!)";
my
@text
= map { $_; }
<IN>;
close(IN);
print "Read $fname\n";
foreach my $line (
@text)
{
$line =~ m/username=(.*) domain/;
@users[$cnt]
= $1;
$cnt +=1;
}
my $previous_user = "";
my $montly_total = 0;
@users
= sort
@users
;
foreach my $user (
@users)
{
if ( $user =~ $previous_user) {
$previous_user = $user;
} else {
$previous_user = $user;
$cmd = "finger -s ".$user." | grep $user";
$out = `$cmd`;
if (! ($out =~ '\?\?\?')) {
print "$out \n";
$monthly_total +=1;
}
}
}
print "Total of $monthly_total users logged in\n";
msrich
Thanks but I don't see that log file in the iwui directory on my W2K TeamSite server.
The only files there are these:
Directory of E:\iw-home\local\logs\iwui
09/07/2003 11:53a <DIR> .
09/07/2003 11:53a <DIR> ..
02/22/2004 10:13p 8,574,564 servletd_err.log
02/22/2004 10:13p 7,193,886 servletd_out.log
2 File(s) 15,768,450 bytes
nipper
edit servlet_out.log
see if there is a line like:
OpenAPIAuthenticator.authenticate(SimpleIdentity[username=andy domainname=null rolename=author])
your logs may be at a different location, might be a iw.cfg setting. May want to RTFM.
HTH
me
Solito
the problem here is that we don't have any time stamp how can you know the users logged for a day xx then ..?
thanks
nipper
The whole story is that you need to rotate the logs. We do that every month, so then I know
what users logged in that month. You could do that weekly, but it also depends on what your
cookie timeout is.
HTH
ANdy