Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
Future of Workflow Builder
System
I think I've already heard the answer to this, but I would like verification. Moving forward, is Workflow Builder (as it exists now) being end of lifed? I understand there will be a new format for workflows (using Java) and assume that a tool of some sort will be coming out for that. As far as a tool for the existing workflow type goes, just want to know if any more versions of WFB will be coming out.
At the moment, our workflows are WFB compatible, but I'd like to move away from it if it's going to EOL'd.
Thanks,
Jason
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
Migrateduser
I would call WFB (aka Workflow Builder) a mature feature. We don't have a direct replacement for it, and it does help some people become familiar with workflow creation.That said, it is not good once you customize your workflow (as has been mentioned on DevNet before).
Until we have a replacement, I wouldn't expect an EOL.
Regards,
lissa
brent1
I've seen several references to workflows moving to a new (Java based) format. Does anyone have any timelines or references for this, or, is it just "rumorware" for now?
Thanks.
Brent
Beckman Coulter Inc.
Migrateduser
From what I've been told, workflows will continue to be XML based entities - the job spec itself is really a workflow. The WFT process is supposedly being rebuilt into a more Java approach. I think I heard a rumor it would be in the TeamSite 6.5 beta, but I am not sure that's reliable info. From what I've been told, you can still use the standard perl way of using WFT to create job specs after the Java stuff comes out. After all since the result is just XML, you can pretty much create that XML however you like right now, although integrating into the OOTB TeamSite UI sort of requires that you use WFTs to create your job specs.
Dave Smith
Sr. Software Engineer
Nike, Inc.
(503) 671-4238
DavidH.Smith@nike.com
tempnick
Have you tried WFB client and server under 6.1 yet? If so, how did it turn out? THANKS!
Migrateduser
I only rarely use WFB and when I use it, it's only in OFFLINE mode to write a skeleton for a workflow. So, in that way, I have used it with TeamSite 6.1, but not with the server component.
- Jason
tempnick
Thanks! That's just what I'm using WFB for now.
Having the server is a little handy if/when making a workflow with workarea- or user-specific aspects to it.
The server is can be EVIL when it comes to updating available_templates.cfg.