Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
iwmigrate (again)! for TS6
gzevin
I searched the forums, but could not find anything...
I am thinking to start migrating branches from 5.5.2 to a new server with 6.1 (when it comes out). I do not want to simply upgrade the existing server, but gradually move users to the new box.
has anybody thought about strategies? I was thinking about iwmigrate, but it looks it doies not simply copy branches as they are, but instead works something like iwconvert, i.e. replays editions to re-create staging...
The problem is that one cannot copy from one branch to another if they are on different stores, otherwise I'd simply created a ne store, backed it up and moved it to the new box......
any ideas?
One of another possibilities is to move everybody on 6.1 and let the untrained users to use webdeskpro (however the new interface for templating will already be there). ...
Greg Zevin, Ph.D. Comp. Sc.
Independent Interwoven Consultant/Architect
Sydney, AU
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
Michael
Hi Greg
I was interested in your plan and was hoping to get a feel for why you wouldn't move everyone to 6.1 en masse.
In our case we can't gradually migrate users as we have only one production licence available -- I assume in your situation you have the 'luxury' of two? If you have two production boxes, couldn't you create a replica production environment in 6.1 and use that for training prior to upgrading your real production box to 6.1? At that stage hopefully all your new users would be comfortable with the new interface (and forget about the nasty experience that was WebDeskPro
).
Cheerio
Michael
gzevin
Michael,
let me but a bit more reasons.
yes, we do not have *any* license issues, as this organisation has an unlimited license. But because the organisation is so big, we have a quite a number of branches there and relevant users. You would agree that we cannot move users without appropriate training and internal documentation (as we obviously limit the number of teamsite feature the users could use e.g. - no visual annotate, no visual format - I have my own visual format, etc)
however, from what I read and heard, moving branches one by one will be virtually impossible, as iwmigrate is akin to iwconvert, and I was extremely unhappy with its performance and features. also, you cannot copy workareas intact, as permissions get screwed, and I cannot think of another dreadful 2 week period when we were buried under user compaints during our move 5->5.5.2...
so, I am thinking more and more about moving 5.5.2 to 6.1, and turning on CC interfac gradually. However, templating interface has changed, so some education needs to be done (not serious, though)....
Greg Zevin, Ph.D. Comp. Sc.
Independent Interwoven Consultant/Architect
Sydney, AU
LooseCannon
>>however, from what I read and heard, moving branches one by one will be virtually impossible
Are you saying this is impossible because you're migrating from 5.5.2 to 6.x or too time consuming or what?
About a week ago my sys admin and I migrated a branch from a 5.5.2 server to another 5.5.2 server. It worked just fine (all permissions and EA's were brought over with the branch)
gzevin
how about workareas?
another thing - some of our users don't like Get Latest and their workareas do not correspond much to each other... so, I cannot do Get Latest and then post differences....
Greg Zevin, Ph.D. Comp. Sc.
Independent Interwoven Consultant/Architect
Sydney, AU
LooseCannon
I'm pretty sure iwmigrate only migrates branches.
Most of of my sub branches only have one workarea so doing a 'Get Latest' isn't an issue
gzevin
Thanks.
our setup is far more complicated, so I have decided to move the whole backing store to 6.1....
Greg Zevin, Ph.D. Comp. Sc.
Independent Interwoven Consultant/Architect
Sydney, AU