Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
How to turn off PERL Warnings in teamsite 5.5.2
Kallattil
We have Teamsite 5.5.2 on Windows 2000 with all the latest SP and patches. In our scripts and TPLs, IWPERL generates runtime warning messages. This is causing the iwperl process under CGI to hang forever when the size of warnings reach about 4000 characters. When a user selects a number of files in Teamsite and clicks on Regenrate, it never works becuase of this. These warning never caused a problem in Teamsite 5 on Unix.
I wonder if anyone has seen this problem? Is there a solution to this other than removing all possible warings. Runtime warnings are mostly coming from the data in the DCR and it is not controllable at the time of development.
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks,
Vijayan
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
nipper
If you wrote the scripts take out:
use strict;
or
#!/iw-home/iw-perl/bin/iwperl -w
(remove the -w from the first line)
Andy
Adam Stoller
I think the two issues (warnings and a hanging CGI) are orthangonal and not a 1:1 relation
You can disable most of the warnings by finding the various Perl scripts and removing the '-w' flag from the first line (if present).
The hanging CGI is usually a case of an http timeout resulting from an extended period of time (about 2 minutes by default I believe) without any traffic sent across the socket. If you have control over the CGI code, you can usually avoid the overall hanging window by periodically sending text (even "") to the window in between loops of whatever it is that is being performed.
Note also - that just because the window hangs, this does not always mean that the process that was initiated within that window have hung.
--fish
Senior Consultant, Quotient Inc.
http://www.quotient-inc.com
Kallattil
Thank you for pointing out the obvious things. Removing -w is not an option becuase Interwoven ships most of their scripts with -w option, it will become a maintenance issue to redo this when ever we apply patches and SPs.
When I say perl process hangs, I have checked the running processes on the server side. When I generate a DCR using a TPL, iwhtmlwizard.cgi (somethign similar) kick of iwpt_compile.ipl to generate HTML output. This process hangs if you spit out more than 4K of bytes to STDOUT. I am not sure if this is a known limitation of web server comes with Teamsite on windows.
I am lloking for a documented way from Interwoven, if any, to remove warnings from Interwoven supplied IPL files. If they say no, I will have to spend time fixing the TPL for all possible runtime warnings.. In that case, I would not recommend Teamsite on WIndows for anyone.
Thanks,
Vijayan
Adam Stoller
STDOUT or STDERR?
STDERR will be captured in the log files.
STDOUT without being properly preceded by a content-type header will also, I believe end up in a log file.
STDOUT preceded by a content-type header should end up in the browser window.
Do you believe the problem is with iwwebd (Apache) or with the customer/preview web server - which on Windows is usually IIS and is *not* provided by Interwoven.
If you can provide a way to repeat the problem you are seeing, contact Support so that they can try to reproduce the problem in-house, which can then lead to engineering support for patches.
However, this sounds like a problem specific to your environment as there are easily hundreds of Interwoven customers using TeamSite on Windows for more than 1 year, and with templating, and I'd think that generating 4k of output to a page would not be too uncommon.
--fish
Senior Consultant, Quotient Inc.
http://www.quotient-inc.com
Migrateduser
I suggest fixing the scripts and TPLs to not spew warnings. Usually, warnings are a sign that you program is not properly handling some cases.
nipper
>I suggest fixing the scripts and TPLs to not spew warnings. Usually, warnings are a sign that you program is not properly handling some cases.
so who wants to fix all the TS perl modules that have plenty of warnings.
Andy
Migrateduser
If a TS module emits warnings, please complain and maybe some developer will be given time to fix it.
gzevin
I wrote about this a few times already. Jon **** had to bend a few rules when he wrote TPL processors.. hence you have warnings.
Greg Zevin, Ph.D. Comp. Sc.
Independent Interwoven Consultant/Architect
Sydney, AU