This is kind of a follow-on to another thread - but I wanted to pull it out because I think it's important and I'd like to hear what other folks think and what Interwoven is (or is not) intending to do about it [within what kind of time-frame].
This is based on my playing around with TS6.0L (haven't gotten to 6.1 yet - if any of this has been fixed/changed in 6.1 please let me know)
-------------
Custom menu items can be added to the CCP UI (good)
Custom menu items added to the CCP UI can be further limited by TS role access (good)
Custom menu items added to the CCP UI do
not appear to be able to be limited or altered based on the branch or even the archive in which the user has currently navigated.
Standard menu items can be removed from the CCP UI
Standard menu items
cannot be removed from the CCP UI based on TS role (
There is supposedly a way to turn a standard menu item into a custom menu item so that you can then control it by role - but I haven't have much luck with this yet).
Standard menu items
cannot be removed from the CCP UI based on branch or archive location.
TeamSite provides branches to separate "initiatives" and/or sub-divide large initiatives into (for example) business-unit sub-initiatives - and further provides archives (backing stores) to further sub-divide initiatives - which for web-hosting companies could be very practical to provide each of their customers with a separate archive. This is all well and good.
Unfortunately, for the longest time, most of the configuration files have been monolihic in their control over the customization of the TeamSite UI without regard to the need of being able to control the same aspects of the system differently depending on the contextual environment in which it is being used (the one exception to this that I can think of is the available_templates.cfg which provides a reasonable amount of flexibility in this regard for customizing the workflows that are available based on branch path - including archive path, role, or user - though not OS group)
TS6 provides a wealth of customizability - but still seems to require that these customizatons affect the
entire TeamSite server and
cannot be modified on an archive-by-archive / branch-by-branch, role-by-roles, user-by-user, and/or group-by-group basis with few exceptions (as stated above, you can use roles for custom menu item control)
I would really appreciate it if someone could provide a roadmap of if/when we can expect to see this kind of granular control over customizations to the UI - for all aspects (CCP, TST, WF, etc.)
I've intentially left off CCS here because it presents a different set of problems - at least at the top-most level - because at that point, you are not guaranteed to have a context (other than user/group/role - which is still important). I suppose the other controls (archive/branch) become important within the portlets - but I haven't spent much time looking at these yet.
--fish
Senior Consultant, Quotient Inc.
http://www.quotient-inc.com