Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
Open House: Developers Welcome?
System
On the DevNet homepage I noticed that there's an Interwoven Open House in NYC and Developers are welcome. I'm wondering if this means ALL developers or just developers who are directly employed by Interwoven customers?
What kind of opportunity for feedback will these developers have? Or is this more of a "dog and pony show?"
Thanks,
Jason
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
Adam Stoller
From what little is mentioned here - I'd say it's mostly "dog and pony" with a little bit of opportunity for interaction - more so if you are an ISV developer. I do not think that this is a re-named focus group meeting - it doesn't sound like there will be a lot of engineers there but more high-level folks (CEO, CTO, and probably some PMs)
If you're around the area and able to attend, it's probably worthwhile to do so (so you can report back to the rest of us what you thought about it ;-) - but I don't think I (as an in-the-trenches consultant) would go out of my way to try to attend it. (that's my opinion based solely on the limited material I see on this site)
--fish
Senior Consultant, Quotient Inc.
http://www.quotient-inc.com
Migrateduser
I was at the Open House here in Sunnyvale. It was GREAT to meet some folks on Devnet that I knew only from their chat names.
I'm hoping some of them will respond to this post to let others know whether they found the presentations worthwhile. There are demo pods planned for every major product area. I know for the NYC event the demo stations are manned by knowledgeable people.
If it's been a while since you've talked to someone at IWOV about new produts, it's a good opportunity to see the products and ask questions.
I'm trying to find new venues for developers to get together. It might be possible to have a "developer birds of a feather" at a future Open House, if people express interest.
I would do my best to staff this with technical folks, and provide a way for you all to talk to each other in addition to Interwoven people.
There may be other alternatives as well, I'm pursuing some now.
I put the notice up about Open Houses in an effort to solicit opinions (Hopefully some positive ones).
Regards,
lissa
Migrateduser
So are a group of developers from Sunnyvale travelling around to these various Open House things? Or is it just maybe one or two developers and one or two product managers and someone from marketing? I'm talking specifically about people from Sunnyvale. Is this one of the things that is supposed to replace the Focus Groups? What's the difference between one of these and a User Group meeting?
Dave Smith
Sr. Software Engineer
Nike, Inc.
(503) 671-4238
DavidH.Smith@nike.com
nipper
Lissa
Do you have some ideas or candidates for other locations ? I am certain you don't have any firm plans
or you would have said so, but I would appreciate finding out how far I will need to travel to attend.
NYC will be a bit out of the way.
Andy
Migrateduser
The schedule for upcoming open houses is still being finalized.
I'll verify the possible dates tomorrow, but I do know:
Atlanta and Los Angeles are also in the works. I think some other sites outside the US as well. Possible Washington DC too.
I'll get more data soon, thanks for asking.
lissa
Migrateduser
The open houses are not meant to substitute for focus group or gear up. Focus Groups in the past have definitely been product focused, to get input on future products and directions.
GearUp is the user group event, co-sponsored by UG and Interwoven. Like all UG events at other companies, it's a mix of marketing and tech activities.
The Open House is a way for us to reach customers in a group setting so they can see what we're up to. In some sense that is like a UG, but UG meetings are set by the members, whereas the Open House allows IWOV to set the agenda, and communicate our plans. Since the merger we have heard from customers (I won't use the word slew or a lot here) that they would like the opportunity to know how the products from both companies fit together, and where we are headed.
We also know that many customers still have not had time to see our new products and solutions, and this is a good way to let them take a look.
Does this replace other events? No. Might it still be worthwhile for some people, particularly those who have been heads-down for a while in a particular area to come up for air?
I think so.
Regards,
lissa
Migrateduser
That's all fine. I'm a little curious about the cities for the "tour" and how you chose them. I'm also curious about the topic. We had a User Group last month focusing on MediaBin and there was no indication Interwoven had any idea how the newly acquired products would merge in with the old products yet. Obviously you're not going to reach every company that will be interested in this info by stopping in a few major cities (is Portland on the list?). I hope this information will be disseminated in other, more convenient, ways for the rest of the customer base. This certainly would have been good Focus Group fodder.
You still didn't answer my questions about how many people from Sunnyvale will be going on the tour and what level they will be. Is it mainly a marketing push or will developers be following the tour? If it's just marketing folks (Product Manager level and above) I would opt to skip it unless it was within 5 miles.
Dave Smith
Sr. Software Engineer
Nike, Inc.
(503) 671-4238
DavidH.Smith@nike.com
JonathonG
If I may be so bold as to request it: How about something somewhere in the Midwest? I'd love to see one in Chicago, but I *might* be able to make it somewhere else in the midwest. But, heading to either coast is probably out of the question for me.
(Insert grumble about how the midwest *always* gets neglected, not just by IWOV either)
Jonathon
Independent Interwoven Contractor
nipper
>Obviously you're not going to reach every company that will be interested in this info by stopping in a few major cities (is Portland on the list?)
Portland is a major city, yea right.
Fly down to LA. I will very likely be attending that.
Andy
Migrateduser
I'm sure I can convince my management to send me to LA for some marketing fluff. I would be able to go anywhere in the country for a Focus Group. I would go about 5 blocks for this.
Dave Smith
Sr. Software Engineer
Nike, Inc.
(503) 671-4238
DavidH.Smith@nike.com
Migrateduser
Another concern is that MediaBin is a Windows only app - with no apparent plans to port it to Solaris. That pretty much was the nail in the coffin for a huge media initiative here, which was going to go to either MediaBin or an Interwoven competor - it was just awarded to the competitor.
Dave Smith
Sr. Software Engineer
Nike, Inc.
(503) 671-4238
DavidH.Smith@nike.com
Migrateduser
Open Houses are planned for
Los Angeles on May 18:
Migrateduser
Will there be anything useful posted or sent out to describe these things so we can see if it's worthwhile to go?
Dave Smith
Sr. Software Engineer
Nike, Inc.
(503) 671-4238
DavidH.Smith@nike.com
nipper
>Will there be anything useful posted or sent out to describe these things so we can see if it's worthwhile to go?
Certainly hope so,
I registered, but since it is a 6 hour drive (or a short flight) I want to make certain it is well worth my while
to attend as well
I was disappointed that it is only 2 hours. You spend more time in LAX getting to and from the meeting.
me
Migrateduser
It's only 2 hours? What are you supposed to accomplish in 2 hours? I guess that seals it for me. Not worth it. I'm not even gonna ask for permission.
Dave Smith
Sr. Software Engineer
Nike, Inc.
(503) 671-4238
DavidH.Smith@nike.com
Adam Stoller
I have to agree - 2 hours is hardly worth making a trip for unless the meeting place is less than an hour away by foot/car/bus/subway.
(hmm, 2nd-life Amathyst - does that mean that in my second life I've come back as ... Smitty? Yikes ;-)
--fish
Senior Consultant, Quotient Inc.
http://www.quotient-inc.com
Migrateduser
Sheesh, who did you **** off to deserve that fate?
Dave Smith
Sr. Software Engineer
Nike, Inc.
(503) 671-4238
DavidH.Smith@nike.com