Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
Guidelines for number of files in a dir ?
nipper
Are there any best practices or guidelines for a target max number of files in a dir ?
We have a number of directories less than 800 files, but some people are looking for them to grow
to 1500 or so.
At what point do I get concerned ?
me
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
Migrateduser
Forget teamsite performance for a second. Windows explorer usability in any filesystem for me becomes an issue at around 200 files (earlier if the files all have similar names). This is worse througha browser-based UI such as TeamSite. I wouldn't want to start out with more than 100 files in a directory and I would hope to keep it under 1000 at worst, preferably just a few hundred.
Adam Stoller
The pagination features of the TS6 UI's tend to make this not that big an issue from a UI perspective, and the backing store redesign from 5.5.2 tends to make this not that big an issue from the file system perspective.
However, as noted - UI performance is probably where you'll notice problems first and I think the general recommended practice is to try to keep things to less than 1000 or, if possible, less than 500 entries per directory.
--fish
Senior Consultant, Quotient Inc.
http://www.quotient-inc.com
Migrateduser
I think the pagination actually makes it worse (unless this is somehow fixed in 6.x) - I (and I assume most users) prefer to scroll a filesystem than page through it. I haven't seen 6.x but I know in 5.x when a directory has more than one page of files it is a pain to work with.
Baeck
As far as Windows is concerned, I wouldn't worry about the size of the directory that you're talking about. For instance, I'm running Win2000 Pro on my laptop and my system32 directory has 1700+ files in it and it loads instantly in Windows Explorer.
When we're talking about TeamSite and directory file count, it is important to distinguish which version of TeamSite you're using. If it's pre-5.5.2, I would recommend no more than a couple hundred files per directory. That's strictly due to the TS backing store - not really any Windows limitation. For version 5.5.2 or later, I wouldn't be overly concerned with a directory of the size that you mentioned.
Aaron Baecker
Senior Consultant
Quotient, Inc.
http://www.Quotient-Inc.com
Migrateduser
I'm sure this may shock the masses, but I find that pagination stinks when I am looking for a file. I would much rather scroll a complete list of files. Pagination is a cheap way to mask bad performance. It takes just as long to page through the list of files as it does to load up the complete list.
Dave Smith
Sr. Software Engineer
Nike, Inc.
(503) 671-4238
DavidH.Smith@nike.com
Baeck
Perhaps I should add one more thing:
While there isn't a
technical
limitation on having these large directories, I wouldn't recommend it. If you get to the point where you have that many files in one directory, I'm guessing that there are possibly some organizational things that need to be done to properly organize the files - rather than just having one mammoth pile of files for users to wade through.
Aaron Baecker
Senior Consultant
Quotient, Inc.
http://www.Quotient-Inc.com