Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
Where's the disk going....
nipper
So we have gone from 20 % disk utilization to 90% in the past 2 weeks (on a 80 GB disk).
TS 552 SP4, not using multiple stores. Solaris 2.8.
No one is telling me they put a ton of new content in. I decided to check for extremely
large files:
find /iwmnt/default/main/ -size +200000000c -print
(show me everything > 200MB) found 2, one and only one version of each.
Next choice is to start walking down WAs with du -s
Any better approaches ? We have 3 different business units with several branches under each.
Tips/Pointers/RTFMs appreciated
Andy
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
Adam Stoller
Try running iwfsshrink - it's possible that you somehow managed to get a lot of duplicate content files (like if someone 'touched' a whole bunch of files and then submitted them).
--fish
Senior Consultant, Quotient Inc.
http://www.quotient-inc.com
Migrateduser
Although many from Interwvoen will say that editions don't take up much space, you might want to go through and purge as many editions as you can. That's the only way we reduce the amount of disk space on our disk. And counter to what they say, it really does make a significant difference.
Dave Smith
Sr. Software Engineer
Nike, Inc.
(503) 671-4238
DavidH.Smith@nike.com
Migrateduser
Your store is on its own partition? Is it definately the iw-store that's taking up that space or are there logs or something else that share the same partition?
In response to Dave's posting about editions... I agree that editions are not the tiny little pointers that Interwoven claims that they are. Especially when the file count gets big. However, I doubt that would have caused the problem in 2 weeks time (unless you've been publishing a lot of editions). If you do choose to delete editions, you may want to only delete about 10 at a time. Sometimes the deletion can run in the background for a while (although there have been very significant improvements in recent versions.)
- Jason
nipper
>Your store is on its own partition? Is it definately the iw-store that's taking up that space or are there logs or something else that share the same partition?
that is the ony thing on the partition. Unless there are logs in iw-store, this is all TS.
BTW, we are not using editions since this is TS 552 & we get hidden editions anyway
Plan to iwfsshrink tonight. I assume this is a heavyweight operation.
I assume there is no good way to get the disk per branch, besides getting an order of magnitude with
du -s STAGING
Thanks again
Andy
Gregg Faus
I know this thread is old but I think I'd chime in on my recent "delete edition" experience. Yesterday I thought I'd be pro-active and delete some of the 1,400+ editions on our most heavily accessed and asset rich workarea (2,000+ files). Well I spent about 15 minutes deleting about 500 editions from CCPRO and the server started to crawl about 15 minutes later as the "iwserver" process memory spiked to about 650MB. Now a day later is almost done cleaning up the destroyed editions (according to iwstat).
So, if you plan on deleting a huge number of editions with a lot of history, do not do it during business hours.
The one good thing I've learned is the use of "iwstat" and "iwfsshrink"
Gregg Faus
Another follow-up. Do not restart the server while the batch is processing or else it will start from the beginning when the server comes up. Also running an iwabort will restart it as well. This is what IWOV support says.
Thought this might be helpful for those considering the deletion of a large number editions.
TS 6.1 / Win2k