Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
refresh in TS 6.1....
gzevin
Ok... I am in CC PRO. Just submitted a file.
Now - I have changed a file in the directoroy and I want to refresh teamsite to see updated icons. Because there's no refresh button in TS 6, I clicked on IE's button. What I get is the prompt - This page cannot be refreshed without resending information. Click Retry to send the information again or Click Cancel....
So - the question is - is this the expected behaviour or a bug???
Greg Zevin, Ph.D. Comp. Sc.
Independent Interwoven Consultant/Architect
Sydney, AU
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
abackenr
there is no refresh button in ccpro since you can generally use browser refresh and have it work properly, or even better, you can use the tree to refresh the current directory you are looking at.
the IE postdata message is annoying, but generally harmless in ccpro filesystem, since it's just posting the current location.
ariel
staff engineer @ interwoven
Migrateduser
Ariel, that repost popup may be harmless, but seriously, in a UI like this, it is really weak to have it appear - ever. The UI should be seamless. Refreshes are required a lot in this app - for workflow specifically. Getting through externaltasks requires refresh after refresh. If taking out a refresh button means we have to deal with the repost popup, then please put the refresh button back in the UI. My users will not be happy if the UI reacts that way even a single time.
Dave Smith
Sr. Software Engineer
Nike, Inc.
(503) 671-4238
DavidH.Smith@nike.com
abackenr
i agree, it is sucky that you get this error message, that is basically just perplexing to users. and it would be great if all applications could be seamless. but this is another one of those problems that is really hard to solve in a web environment.
i'll look into the refresh button thing again (how much of a pain it will be to implement it), but in general, there should be other methods in most screens for the user to refresh the page.
staff engineer @ interwoven
Migrateduser
I think if it always worked that way and still did, then that would be acceptable. But the fact that the refresh button doesn't cause that behavior and now without the refresh button that behavior exists - that's bad. Staying the same is not an impact. Going backwards is. Thanks for looking into it.
Dave Smith
Sr. Software Engineer
Nike, Inc.
(503) 671-4238
DavidH.Smith@nike.com
gzevin
common guys, do we have to put it in training - if you get a message from IE , just click 'retry'? Is it what you call a user friendly interface!
I already voiced my disagreement with taking out the teamsite-own refresh button. This is another point! and a pretty strong one I believe.
Greg Zevin, Ph.D. Comp. Sc.
Independent Interwoven Consultant/Architect
Sydney, AU
Migrateduser
Greg,
Are you using a custom Submit workflow (perhaps with an immediate CGI task), or one of the out of the box workflows?
In 6.1, the OOTB workflows should automatically refresh the main CCPro page when the popup (instantiator) window closes.
Michelle Neuringer
Interwoven Engineer
gzevin
I am using a standard workflow (as matter of fact, I used the one which is a substitute for Submit Direct). Yes, it does refresh the screen. But if I want to refresh the screen after that? This is exactly what I did - I changed the file (via Samba share) and simply wanted to make sure that the change has been effected in the UI. Did you guys design the UI with the presumption that such an even could or woould not happen?
Greg Zevin, Ph.D. Comp. Sc.
Independent Interwoven Consultant/Architect
Sydney, AU
Migrateduser
Out of curiosity, why was the UI unsuitable for initiating a change to the file?
Michelle Neuringer
Interwoven Engineer
gzevin
now you made me laugh. First of all, you should not put any presumptions when you design UIs - anything could happen.
As for not using the UI for the change - the explanation is easy. I tried to mimic a work by a 'professional'. A professional does know where he or she works in terms of the exported Samba drive (or Y: drive if you wish in terms of NT). So - in order to modify a file one does not need to even open TeamSite UI (or keep it open, but inactive). And, once a professional modified a few files, they would want to come to the UI to submit their changes.
Also if one uses Front Office there could a number of scenarios as well.
Greg Zevin, Ph.D. Comp. Sc.
Independent Interwoven Consultant/Architect
Sydney, AU
Migrateduser
What a strange question. We have over a hundred people who modify assets that end up being run through workflows and deployed through TeamSite. Not a single one of those people uses TeamSite as their development environment. Never once has anyone edited a file from the TeamSite UI. Every single asset of the thousands of assets updated in TeamSite was created or edited in another program on the user's desktop PC and then was FTP'd or copied via Samba to the TeamSite server. The TeamSite UI is built in such a way that we
must
use the refresh button at various times during the development process. Even if we used TeamSIte exclusively to edit assets, we'd still need to refresh during the workflow process.
Dave Smith
Sr. Software Engineer
Nike, Inc.
(503) 671-4238
DavidH.Smith@nike.com
Migrateduser
Very well said, Dave. I completely agree. I can't tell you how many times per day I press the "Refresh" button on 5.5.x servers, but it's a lot. If I also had to press "Retry" every time I hit "Refresh" that would get really old, really fast. I don't believe this is the case with the current 6.x UI. I think that you are only asked to "Retry" when you've submitted information (same is true with any web form). Not all clicks within the UI submit events. Not sure this changes the fact that a UI refresh button needs to exist. I still think it's fairly important to make the UI easier for end users.
- Jason
Migrateduser
Okay, I understand that I walked right into that
Thanks for explaining your use cases. Your complaints are valid. Luckily, the IE post retry dialog doesn't appear all of the time... but it sure is jarring when it does. I will file a feature request (if one doesn't already exist) and we will do our best to find a good solution that suits your needs.
Michelle Neuringer
Interwoven Engineer
cemman01
We are seeing the same issue here. Can you provide the FR number?
Thanks,