Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
Can/Should VFE Config be specified at branch level
System
Scenario:
A team expresses the need for the VFE configuration to be different than the existing enterprise-wide config file. Let's say there's 100 total DCT's and half of them belong to this team that needs the VFE config to split. This team uses distinct branches from the rest of the enterprise.
Question:
Is there ANY way that I could specify the VFE config file but on a branch or workarea basis, instead of DCT by DCT? If not, does anyone else feel that this should be a feature request?
Dave
Current Environment(s):
(1) TS 6.1 SP1 on W2K3
(2) TS 6.1 SP1 on W2K
(3) TS 5.5.2 SP2 on Win2K
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
JonathonG
Dave,
I don't think this is possible, but I would agree that it is a desirable feature. My current project is going to have about 30 DCTs, with several VF fields per DCT, all using the same VFE config file. This isn't a real big deal for us, as the DCT items are generated by a common inline, so only have 1 place to change them, but if we weren't going that route, I would probably be hollering for this feature.
Jonathon
Interwoven Developer
Allstate, Inc.
Migrateduser
Yeah, I didn't think this was possible... my next question: How does one go about filing a feature request? I'm also considering (and am open to at this point) possible ways to hack a solution to this.
Dave
Current Environment(s):
(1) TS 6.1 SP1 on W2K3
(2) TS 6.1 SP1 on W2K
(3) TS 5.5.2 SP2 on Win2K
Dwayne
You could do it by specifying the <textarea> via an <inline> callout, rather than directly in the DCT. You'd still need to visit each DCT once to make the conversion, but branches could then be changed simply by changing the <inline> handler, rather than the individual DCTs.
One of the downsides of this, of course, is performance. If you've got a LOT of VF controls in a DCT, it will end up running your <inline> script once for each one of them. You could optimize that by only putting the <inline> on the first one, as, in the current implementation, all VFE fields on a page share a common config file, but that sounds error-prone and dangerous to me.
It certainly does sound like a reasonable facility to offer OOTB.
--
Current project: TS 5.5.2/6.1 W2K
JonathonG
Well, you go through support. If you don't have support access, perhaps one of the IWOVers who lurk about on this board will file it on your behalf. Over on the OD boards, I was able to get Todd to register one for me by stating that I didn't have support access.
Jonathon
Interwoven Developer
Allstate, Inc.
Migrateduser
I considered that and while it wouldn't be a bad idea if users weren't already very familiar with the DCT's and asking a typical user to make one extra click is tantamount to requesting that they clean the Statue of Liberty with a medium-head toothbrush. And, as you pointed out, each DCT would still have to be revisited.
I guess I'm looking for a quick fix without specific regard to the case that VF configs might divide further.
Dave
Current Environment(s):
(1) TS 6.1 SP1 on W2K3
(2) TS 6.1 SP1 on W2K
(3) TS 5.5.2 SP2 on Win2K
Dwayne
An extra click? Why?
It would be transparent to the user. <inline> is handled by the system, before the user is ever involved. There is no user interaction.
--
Current project: TS 5.5.2/6.1 W2K
Migrateduser
Sorry, I did a mistranslation in my head -- I thought "callout". That's interesting though. If I discover something that hasn't been mentioned here, I'll post it!
Thanks,
Dave
Current Environment(s):
(1) TS 6.1 SP1 on W2K3
(2) TS 6.1 SP1 on W2K
(3) TS 5.5.2 SP2 on Win2K
Adam Stoller
Each VFE textarea can specify it's own config file to use - so as long as the one team isn't using the same DCTs as the rest of the global users - then their DCTs can specify a different config file than the global / default one used by all the other DCTs.
If there is overlap in the DCTs between the users who want a specific config file and the global users - than the idea about using an inline script to determine which group the current user falls into and then spit out the appropriate VFE parameters for the textarea - would be the way to go.
--fish
Senior Consultant, Quotient Inc.
http://www.quotient-inc.com
gzevin
I was wondering, reading all the posts, why this answer did not come up earlier.. and now I see it did come, in the end!
that would have been my exact answer as well
Greg Zevin, Ph.D. Comp. Sc.
Independent Interwoven Consultant/Architect
Sydney, AU
JonathonG
But if, as the original question stated, I have 50 DCTs that need to use an alternate config file, I have to configure each of those 50 DCTs individually, with the exact same config file name. Whereas, if the default config could vary by branch/workarea, I would only have to set it up once.
So, its do-able now, but a bit of a pain. To me, the FR would make maintenance of the DCTs much simpler.
Jonathon
Interwoven Developer
Allstate, Inc.