Environment:TeamSite 5.5.2 SP2b+
Solaris 8
Preface:I started working on trying to fix something that my customer had noticed with one of our customizations, and I've run into a strange aspect upon which I'm hoping someone here can shed some light...
Background:On our Set Metadata form, we have a cgi-callout that allows the user to copy metadata from an already existing, tagged, asset.
The customer had noticed some strange behavior occurring when the metadata associated with the source (to-be-copied-from) asset contained "odd" characters - like not maintaining the characters in their original state, only copying part of the metadata value, etc.
Scenario:I set the metadata on one asset to include things like copyright symbols, newlines, fancy characters (e.g. 'n' with '~' above it), smart-quotes (copy/pasted from Word), etc.
I then created a second file and proceeded to Set Metadata on it, and selected the Copy Metadata cgi-callout button, and referenced the first file.
Here's the fun part...
If I do this using FireFox (a Mozilla browser) - the metadata seems to get copied over just fine. However, if I do this using IE 6, the copied metadata seems to have become munged.
The encoding set for both browsers is Unicode (UTF-8).
If I perform the Set Metadata / Copy Metadata from within FireFox, I can view it just fine within IE.
If I perform the Set Metadata / Copy Metadata from within IE 6, it's munged no matter from which browser I look at it.
ConundrumOne would think that it would be the custom code run from the cgi-callout that determines whether the metadata gets transferred correctly - yes? But in this case, it seems to be the browser from which the callout script is initiated that makes the difference!
First, can anyone explain why this might be?
Second, can anyone think of something I can do within the custom script to make this work regardless of which browser is used (since I cannot control which browser will be used, and can almost guarantee they won't be using FireFox)?
--fish
Senior Consultant, Quotient Inc.
http://www.quotient-inc.com