Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
iwmigrate
johnjamesmarsh
TS 5.5.2 Solaris 5.8
Hi,
We have just tried to migrate production content from the production server back to development so that we have a realistic test system. Not an unreasonable thing I thought. To do this we used iwmigrate. The command line used was:
iwmigrate -b //prod_iw/default/main/WebSite -m /opt/iwov/temp/prod_iw/default -o /opt/iwov/iw-store/default
This was run on the dev server with /opt/iwov/temp/prod_iw/default being the production iw-store mount location. The command worked except some of the events were missing. The specific events were delete events meaning the migrated system has more files in it than the original.
Has anyone seen this behaviour before? Does anyone have a solution?
Any help gratefully received.
John
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
gzevin
i should once write an article.. "iwmigrate considered harmful"
it's ****, in my honest opinion, sorry for being unable to help. I usually transfer files in workareas as tar files
Greg Zevin, Ph.D. Comp. Sc.
Independent Interwoven Consultant/Architect
Sydney, AU
Adam Stoller
Actually, I've had good experiences with iwmigrate in a multistore environment (as long as you remember to leave the temp_workarea's around) - I've never used it to transfer files between servers though.
--fish
Senior Consultant, Quotient Inc.
http://www.quotient-inc.com
gzevin
once I also mentioned that iwmigrate will work well with branches who have IWOV-reccomended practice in place - regular sumbissions and almost identical structure of a workareas. Many of my clients prefer not to do Get Latest ..... iwmigrate will not work in that case....
Greg Zevin, Ph.D. Comp. Sc.
Independent Interwoven Consultant/Architect
Sydney, AU
Migrateduser
I'm really curious about this now. We are using iwmigrate (or, rather, we want to) to help merge two instances of TeamSite. Both of them are v 5.5.2 on Solaris 8. They are connected by WAN rather than LAN, and there are multiple stores already on the target server. We're consolidating a smaller backing store (that is the only store on this area's TS) onto the larger one, but one of our infrastructure staff says that the transfer over the WAN is potentially dangerous to the backing store we're transferring.
The idea is to mount the backing store of one TS onto the destination TS and then do iwmigrate.
What are your thoughts on this?
Carol
What goes up must come down. Ask any system administrator.
gzevin
well, mounting a FS over WAN is a dangerous precentent, in my opinion, unless you can guarantee an uninterrupted functioning over a long time.
My point always is - during my experience with TeamSite migration not that many users want to keep their history - just the workareas and staging. In that case it's much easer to tar the workareas and capture the extended attributes, then transfer them over to another box and do the reverse process. Of course, if the issue of keeping the versions (in a live system) is on the agenda, then you'll HAVE to use iwmigrate, but be aware of all the issues associated with it. Otherwise I just advise the users to keep a backup copy of the old store, just in case,.
Greg Zevin, Ph.D. Comp. Sc.
Independent Interwoven Consultant/Architect
Sydney, AU
johnjamesmarsh
In our case we were doing the migration so that we could test our new development on a realistic code base. Only taking the workarea is not really a good option. We did the migration once and the test team came back and told us we had too many files. The one thought I have had is that using a -n flag might help. anyone tried that?
This is actually doubly worrying at the moment too as we are about to migrate another system from 4.5.1 to 6.1 and will need to use iwconvert for that. Does iwconvert exhibit the same behaviour?
Adam Stoller
iwconvert and iwmigrate are generally the same thing - the former is for pre-5.5.2 to 5.5.2+ conversion on separate machines, the latter is for same-version migration between backing stores.
In each case though - you should make sure to run iwfsshrink after performing the conversion/migration.
If you just want to get the last edition (for setting up a test/development server) - use the -s flag to specify a start edition name.
If your branches have different edition names - then you could create a script that uses something like iwlasted to get the last edition name to use for the parameter.
--fish
Senior Consultant, Quotient Inc.
http://www.quotient-inc.com
Migrateduser
I had problems with iwconvert that I'm still shaking out. Some content was not moved and I'm ending up doing iwdiffdir/iwdiffapply on all 50+ of my branches.
We want to preserve as much of the backing store environment as possible (since this is how we're going to do the actual move) and so we're choosing a slow WAN traffic period and use iwmigrate. If that doesn't work, we'll have to find some different way, and it may be that we end up tar'ing it, but I would rather not.
But hey, that's what testing is for
Thanks for the help.
Carol
What goes up must come down. Ask any system administrator.
Adam Stoller
Some reasons for content not getting converted/migrated include:
Missing editions on those branches on the source side
Missing the
temp_workarea
on the target side for a follow-up (not the initial) transfer of content
I already have a request in to fix iwconvert to make it create the temp_workarea with the latest edition on the target side if it doesn't already exist (but the branch does) - because basically the process uses the
temp_workarea
as a means of maintaining state between subsequent runs of the conversion/migration.
--fish
Senior Consultant, Quotient Inc.
http://www.quotient-inc.com
Ottawa_IWOV
How do you get the proper permissions on files/folders in workareas after the iwmigrate utility runs? I hope this is not something we have to manually work out.
lizn
Take a look at this article, it might help
https://support.interwoven.com/kb/kb_show_article2.asp?ArticleID=49980
Ottawa_IWOV
Not sure if this is a great help.
Basically the Administrator has full control on everything inside the workarea, not the group for sharing. I want the group for sharing to have open access to everything ...
BTW, the platform in Windows 2000 Server SP4
TeamSite 6.5
Ottawa_IWOV
I am on the SAME TeamSite, server, trying to migrate a branch from one store to another. IWMIGRATE works fine for this, but all my content in the temp_workarea is ZERO sized. I read somewhere that there is a FINAL PASS that needs to take place. How do I go about doing this? I am slightly confused. Some people say iwmigrate -c, some people say iwconvert -c. I am a little lost on this one ...
Adam Stoller
iwconvert is for pre-5.5.2 to 5.5.2 (or later) systems - generally in server-to-server transfer.
iwmigrate is for 5.5.2 or higher, able to be used for both server-to-server and same-server transfer (the latter only with mult-store)
If the files are coming out 0-length - I suggest you look very carefully at the log information from the run of the command. You might also verify that you actually have sufficient free disk space for the migration.
--fish
Senior Consultant, Quotient Inc.
http://www.quotient-inc.com