Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
TS 6.0 setup - Problems with W2K Domain
IWguy
Hello,
Got a problem that is driving me a bit nuts... I know that the TS documentation says you are not supposed to setup TS on a W2K Domain Controller but they don't specify what the problems would be. Problem is that where I work, we do not use Domains for security (all Novell) so I need to setup one up for the license.
Here's what happens.
We use DHCP here at work so I managed to find a static IP address so I can use it.
1) Installed W2K Server
2) Installed W2K SP3
3) Upgraded IE to 6.1
4) Installed Active Directory (New tree, new forest) I let Windows manage my DNS settings and we do not have any NT4 machines I choose the 2nd option with regards to the permissions option in the AD setup).
5) After all the reboots, I run the tslicinfo.exe program and get all the information I need except for the domain which is "NoDomainFound".
I look in my computer properties under Network Identification and my domain name is listed there. Where am I going wrong?????
Thanks for the help!
IWGuy
After all the reboots are done
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
Adam Stoller
I wouldn't worry about it - use the information returned from tslicinfo to get your license - including the NoDomainFound (or whatever)\
The issues with PDCs and BDCs was, among other things, the inablity (if I recall correctly) to have local disk accounts on such machines - and you need one or two local disk accounts for TS to work correctly.
--fish
Senior Consultant, Quotient Inc.
http://www.quotient-inc.com
IWguy
Thanks for the info Fish!
I did what you said and after the TS install (and reboot) I went to my TS login screen. Chose Administrator, typed the password and tried logging in to the Professional GUI as Master on the domain IWGod (that's my host name)
Result: No Such User
I then opened the domain dropdown box and got the option of selection IWGod or a second one called NET_VALHALLA (I chose to call my domain Valhalla.norway.com with NET_VALHALLA as my Domain NetBios Name)
So what I did was then go into my Master.uid file in the roles directory and checked to see what users were in there.
The result was:
IWGod\Administrator
SYSTEM
I thought it was odd that I couldn't login to the teamsite server even though my user entry was in there under the domain name that Teamsite had added itself.
I then decided to put a new entry in on a hunch.
NET_VALHALLA\Administrator
I saved the file and then tried to login using the Administrator under the NET_VALHALLA domain which then worked fine.
So all in all it works but I do not think that is how it is supposed to go when you are setting up a server from scratch on a client site. I'm okay in terms of my W2K admin skills but I'm no guru (as you can see). Any inights here on what could be happening?
Thanks,
IWGuy
IWguy
UPDATE: I uninstalled Active Directory and checked the option to "Change Primary DNS suffix when domain changes". I also a Primary DNS suffix (similar to my domain) and voila - everything was running as expected. I'll have to setup a true Active Directory environment to get down to the bottom of my problem but like Fish said, it might be with the whole running TS on a PDC.
Btw - the option I mentioned in the first line can be found in the following location on W2K
--My computer (right click and select properties)
--Click tab "Network Identification"
--Click button "Properties"
--Click button "More"
Thanks,
IWguy