Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
New OpenDeploy BaseServer Install Problem
John742
I have a test environment with and install on Unix and an install on Windows. all pieces of the base install have be loaded on both machines. The unix side is working fine to deploy to itself and to the windows box and from the admin on the Unix box and can pull up the windows base server and have it deploy to itself all ok. The problem comes in when I deploy from the windows base server to the Unix box. I get this error: ERROR: Connection failed: Could not find matching OpenDeploy client for (L110021048.va.dominionnet.com). Am I correct in saying that when creating the .xml file for iwodstart the local node host should be the local pc and not where I am deploying too? I guess it is just trying make a string Comparison to find a match but what files is it looking in to make this Comparison?
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
Adam Stoller
The localNode in the deployment configuration file is the name of the local host machine *or* in some cases, the IP address of a NAT firewall in between the Base Server and Receiver.
The receiving side's server configuration needs to have the sender server's name listed in the allowedHosts section - and when you make that change you need to stop/start the OD server where you made this change
--fish
Senior Consultant, Quotient Inc.
http://www.quotient-inc.com
John742
Ok I have been successful in getting my Windows Base to see my Unix base. You may be correct in saying the allowed hosts may be the issue. My log shows failed but the log itself does not show any errors. I did include a allowed hosts and allowed directories entry on the target host but only did a iwodserverreset afterwards, which from your statement will not refresh the allowed hosts entry. If so will a iwreset -a be able to do this or must I go through shutting down all the services and brininging them back up? Rebooting the server is not really an option and judging by the documentation there is a specifc order to stopping and restarting all the services, which seems to be a huge hassle whenever a change is made to this file. Thanks for the help!!
Dwayne
From the OpenDeploy admin server, you can choose the "Refresh Server" (or something like that - I don't have a box in front of me to check) it will reload the odbase.xml/odrcvr.xml and odnodes.xml files.
--
Current project: TS 5.5.2/6.1 W2K
John742
Doesn't this just call iwodserverreset.bat? I have run this from the bin folder and I am still having the same problem
Dwayne
I couldn't say for certain what operations are performed "under the covers" by this function. All I can tell you is that this definitely causes a re-reading of the odrcvr/odbase and odnodes.xml files.
I don't
thing
that iwreset will do it, but I'm not certain about that.
--
Current project: TS 5.5.2/6.1 W2K
John742
Actually viewing the log after running refresh server via the admin GUI it does say it has refreshed the allowed hosts and allowed directories. Unforunately I still am unable to deploy from windows to unix. The log file that is viewed via the Admin GUI after the deployment fails, does not give any reason for the failure. Is there another log file that may show the problem?
John742
Has anyone or does anyone know what versions of OpenDeploy will talk to each other?
OD 5.5.1 B:6054 to OD 6.0 (no service pack)??
Adam Stoller
You'd have to look at the macro and micro logs - I don't remember which would indicate the problem. Other than that you can either post a bunch of files here - or send them to Support and see if they can assist you.
--fish
Senior Consultant, Quotient Inc.
http://www.quotient-inc.com
Adam Stoller
I believe there is a compatibility matrix available for OpenDeploy on the support site.
--fish
Senior Consultant, Quotient Inc.
http://www.quotient-inc.com
Migrateduser
See the compatibility matrix on the support site for a summary of which versions work together. See the product release notes for limitations when deploying across versions.
5.5.1 and 6.0 can deploy to each other.
Todd Scallan
Director of Product Management
Interwoven
t: 408-530-7167
e:
tscallan@interwoven.com
John742
Ok I have uninstalled everything and the documentation on the install is definitely not enough support to get this thing running. If anyone can give me an answer to just getting it installed I would at least be able to move on. I have a Teamsite environment 552 and open deploy 551 on unix. I have been able to set up a reciever(5.6) on windows and deploy to it from the unix box. I need to be able to deploy from windows(5.6) back to unix(551). What do I need to install? this is not clear at all. At first I thought only the base server would need to be installed on windows, but then i found reference that the admin module would also need to be installed on the windows box. Then it says if you are in a teamsite environment you must point the base server to the teamsite open api ops server even if it is on another host. the closest I got was to install the admin module and the base server on the windows box. At least the unix box could admin the windows pc but, Never at any point was I able to deploy from windows to unix. And the worse thing is no log file gives me a clue to what the issue may be - allowed hosts?directory?permissions?bootstrapadmin? I have tripled check all my config files and all seems to be in order. I even went as far as to setup a reciever on another windows server to see if my new base/admin install on windows was setup correctly to deploy to just another windows box and it was working in 5 minutes!! After all of this I find a 5.6 sp1 install that talks about fixes for deploying from 5.6 to 551but says the ops server needs to be upgraded also. The matrix for OD clearly states 5.6 and 5.51 are compatible Has anyone been able to setup two base servers: one on unix and one on windows that will deploy in both directions within a teamsite environment? If so what do you have installed and where?
Migrateduser
John,
To keep things simple, let's just focus on what I think is your basic question... deploying from an OD 5.6 base server to an OD 5.5.1 base server. To accomplish this, you don't need any of the admin server, ops server, openapi, etc... Just the two base servers.
All that should be involved is to install the OD 5.6 base server on one host, and the OD 5.5.1 base server on the other. After installing the base server software on each host, check that you can successfully run the "test" deployment on each: iwodstart test
In the odnodes file for the OD 5.6 install, which is the sending node, add an entry that refs the other node (the OD 5.5.1 install). In your deployment config, set the target to deploy to that node (the 5.5.1 install.)
On the OD 5.5.1 host, which is the receiving node, update odbase.xml to make the other node (the OD 5.6 install) an allowed host. I'm assuming at this point there's no firewall doing NAT. If so, then you may need to add your firewall as an allowed host.
Now configure a deployment that goes from the 5.6 node to the 5.5.1 node. Use the command line tool to invoke the deployment (iwodstart <dep_name>).
If you can get this far, and now you want to use the OD admin software, then you need to install the OD 5.6 admin software. Reason is that a newer OD admin will be able to administer older OD nodes, but not the other way around.
If you install the OD admin software on the same node as TeamSite, it will leverage TeamSite's OpenAPI for user authentication rather than using OD's own Operations Server. For OD 5.6, these decisions (whether to use OpenAPI, whether to install Operations Server) are handled under the covers by the OD Admin Package installer.
Hopefully this info will be helpful to you. I might also suggest that you call into Tech Support so that they can perhaps walk you through the installation and set-up process for your particular configuration.
Cheers,
Todd Scallan
Director of Product Management
Interwoven
t: 408-530-7167
e:
tscallan@interwoven.com
John742
Thanks for the assist!! This makes alot more sense. I was never able to get 5.6 to deploy to 5.5.1 though. Even through a command line owodstart. The src. log file for that attempt on the 5.6 sender indicates a function call (Receiver-ERROR: ERROR: Unrecognized option: do_manifest_for_dnr=.) that is unknown by the 5.5.1 receiver. I installed a 5.5.1 base and retried and did not get the error. I am not sure if the sp1 for 5.6 would fix this, but the bug list does talk about an issue with down-rev from 5.6 to 5.5.1. I did not install it because it recommended to install it on the admin and ops server also (which of course in my case is not an option). Anyway I am moving along with the setup. Thanks again for the help!!
Adam Stoller
Receiver-ERROR: ERROR: Unrecognized option: do_manifest_for_dnr=.)
I believe you need to adjust a setting in the 5.6 odbase.xml file by changing:
<dnrProperties allowDnrExecution="yes"
infoStreamFormat="
manifest
"
/>
to:
<dnrProperties allowDnrExecution="yes"
infoStreamFormat="
log
"
/>
Since the older versions of OD do not know anything about
manifest
files.
Make this change, restart the 5.6 base server - and then see if it works.
--fish
Senior Consultant, Quotient Inc.
http://www.quotient-inc.com