Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
OpenDeploy - one more delete question
isinger
Hi all,
Currently we build filelist deployments
where the filelist is dynamically build via a perl script that is kicked off
by the user after the select the content to be deployed.
Now what I want to do is employ the
same concept with the removal of content from the target servers. ie; I want
to do a filelist deployment that takes the content that is listed and remove
it from the target.
I get a sense that
this is a combo of source filters and doDeletes, but I am not sure. Can some
provide insight to this strategry, or is there a
better
way to do this?
I am running OD 5.5.1
on Solaris 8
Thanks.
Irv Singer
e-Business Content & Delivery
phone (215) 444 - 7957
e-mail
isinger@fleetcc.com
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
Adam Stoller
Well, you could look at it as a combo of filters and doDeletes - but it's primarily a case of doDeletes and the *absence* of the files in the source area (whether by virtue of them having been removed, or using source-side filters)
Are you trying to delete files from the target side without actually deleting them from the source side first?
If so - then filters or possibly an alternate source area specification will work.
If you have already deleted the files on the source side prior to kicking off the deployment - then no filters should be needed.
--fish
Senior Consultant, Quotient Inc.
http://www.quotient-inc.com
isinger
Thanks Adam,
YES....I do want to delete files from the target side without actually deleting them from the source side first.
So, if I understand you correctly, the solution is source side filters to "hide" the source version of the file, and the doDelete transfer rule on the target?
I am not certain I grasp "possibly an alternate source area specification will work". If I specfied an alternate source, and the filelist contains files that are not in that source, would the deployment work?
Thanks,
Irv
Irv Singer
e-Business Content & Delivery
phone (215) 444 - 7957
e-mail
isinger@fleetcc.com
Migrateduser
Does dodelete work with filelist reverse deployment? I have a workflow that will perform a reverse deployment from weblogic server to get latest application into teamsite and then I can schedule a deployment to production. It seems like the reverse deployment doesn't work for me.
Adam Stoller
I am not certain I grasp "possibly an alternate source area specification will work". If I specfied an alternate source, and the filelist contains files that are not in that source, would the deployment work?
It should - but it's always best to test it out first - try running with '-sim' mode, then try running for real someplace where if it doesn't work right it won't kill you.
The part I'm not sure about is what OD would do with respect to directory tree structures that don't exist within the alternate source area on the target side. I figure it will:
1) work as desired, or
2) complain about the source side directory structure absence, or
3) delete more than you want on the target side
I think the odds are in favor of '1' - but it's worth going slow to make sure that the answer isn't '3'.
--fish
Senior Consultant, Quotient Inc.
http://www.quotient-inc.com
isinger
Adam,
I apologize in advance, and please tell me if my question is out of your scope, but I do not understand how I can specifiy which content to delete from a target? If the transfer rule "doDelete" is on for the target, then all files on the target that are not present in the source are deleted.
I want a way to specifiy in a filelist which files are to be deleted from the target, and I want the only action to be deletions; ie; no files deployed from source to target.
Thanks for listening.
Irv
Irv Singer
e-Business Content & Delivery
phone (215) 444 - 7957
e-mail
isinger@fleetcc.com
Adam Stoller
When using a *filelist* - only those files specified in the filelist will be deployed.
If any of the files specified in the filelist *do not exist* on the *source* they are subject to deletion on the *target* (assuming doDeletes is enabled) - thus if my filelist contains:
/tmp/foo/bar
and my /tmp/foo directory actually contains:
/tmp/foo/baz
/tmp/foo/mumble
Then OD will generate a deletion request for /tmp/foo/bar on the target side, but it will ignore any other files that exist (or don't exist) on both the source and target sides because it is only concerned with deploying the files (or deletions of the files) explicitly referenced within the filelist.
Does that clarify things for you?
--fish
Senior Consultant, Quotient Inc.
http://www.quotient-inc.com
isinger
Thanks.
That almost does it for me.....I am then wondering can I setup a source filter that excludes everything on the source side except what is listed in the filelist?
Irv Singer
e-Business Content & Delivery
phone (215) 444 - 7957
e-mail
isinger@fleetcc.com
Adam Stoller
I think you're missing the point still - consider the filelist *as* the filter that shows only those files listed within it as existing (or not existing) on the source side. There is no source/target directory comparisons run if you use a filelist.
--fish
Senior Consultant, Quotient Inc.
http://www.quotient-inc.com