Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
TS 6.5 Search Component
Valentine
I've been told that for the performace reasons TS 6.5 Search Component should be installed on the separater server
1) How big is the load of the search server software? What it it runs on the same server as TeamSite?
2) If I am going to install Search Component on two different server, can they be of a different platform, ie. TS on Solaris and search server on NT/Linux?
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
smenon
The primary reason that you want to install search and index server on a separate server is because the index server is CPU intensive. The biggest hit you will take is during the baseline indexing of a branch. When you add a branch to be indexed for the first time, the index server must walk the backing store and index all the files in that branch (it indexes all the versions of the files too). As part of the indexing operation, it must process all the files in order to support full-text keyword searching. This process can be CPU intensive and hence the recommendation to put it on a different server than TeamSite.
However, once you have finished the baseline indexing, you can set up the index server to perform incremental indexing. This only indexes the files that are included in a submit operation and hence it is completed quickly without holding up the resources for long.
With regards to installing the search server on a different platform : that configuration is not yet supported.
--Sunil Menon
Product Manager
Interwoven, Inc.
skip11
Hi,
I have been doing extensive testing of Search and find that on a mid-range E Class Sun box,
(2gb of memory, 2x450mhz cpu), locally installed TS 6.5 and the Search/Index suite present
no extensive perfomance issues so far. True, initial indexing of a branch showed high cpu
utilization (particularly in iowait), but tests of creating initial indices for 2.5gb of backing store
took less than 6 hours - wiping off the face of the map an in-house search soution developed
here. We are very pleased so far, and will probably put this into production sometime next year,
though the platform will be hugely "beefier" (4x1.2ghz UltraSparc II, 8gb memory).
The one problem I have seen and posted here about, are index and search related ports and
processes which are left up or in WAIT states after the services have been shutdown via IW
scripts. No news from anyone
@IW
on this yet, but if I see it on another installation, I will be
compelled to file a bug.
Regards,
R.Barger
Credit Suisse Group
Zurich, Switzerland
smenon
We found comparable results in our internal performance testing for Search. I am glad that things are working fine for you.
Regarding the open port issues : we haven't found that problem in our testing here and I had asked the team to check it out again based on your post and we were unable to reproduce it. If you find that it is reproducible and it happens on other machines also, then please open a case with Support and log a bug for this issue.
thanks
--Sunil Menon
Product Manager
Interwoven, Inc.
Ottawa_IWOV
Hi All-
I have more search application related questions. I assume an out-of-the-box Search UI will be provided (implemented through a file menu in CCPro?).
Will this be customizable?
For instance, if I do a search for a specific category/data-type in a workarea, I assume I will get results that will allow me to edit and preview the piece of content.
Can I add an option (along side preview, edit) that would be a CGI screen for manipulating extended attributes on the content. Or selecting a item from the Search Result and doing a Copy To Area?
Does Interwoven have screen captures of the Search interface or a beta site when it can be viewed.
Just some basic validation I would like to do before installing the product.
Thanks,
smenon
In fact, I believe we already support all the actions that you described in your post out of the box. You can take action on the search results and perform actions such as tag, assign to workflow, copy to area etc.
There was recorded webinar on TeamSite 6.5 in the month of October. You can watch that recording to get a feel for the search functionality in TeamSite 6.5 or talk to your sales rep.
thanks
--Sunil Menon
Product Manager
Interwoven, Inc.