Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
Too many files
Bowker
Win 2k
TS 5.5.2
So right after I submitted 3500 files in one folder I find that TeamSite really doesn't like more than 500 files in one folder.
Whoops!
I deleted all the files and submitted the deletes.
Now when we submit any files in that folder (the folder has about 150 files left in it) it takes MINUTES and the whole system pretty much comes to a halt.
If I rename the folder (currently called "rate_sheets" to "rate_sheets_old") and submit that, then create a new folder called "rate_sheets", would that help or will the workarea's new "rate_sheet" folder still be tied to the one in staging?
Dan Bowker
Northern Trust
Web Publishing Technology
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
james1
> If I rename the folder (currently called "rate_sheets"
> to "rate_sheets_old") and submit that, then create a
> new folder called "rate_sheets", would that help or
> will the workarea's new "rate_sheet" folder still be
> tied to the one in staging?
I fear that it might still be tied (but I'm not sure).
You might try publishing an edition after your submit, before you create the new "rate_sheets" folder, but I kind of doubt that will make a difference.
-- James
--
James H Koh
Interwoven Engineering
Adam Stoller
Considering that 5.5.2 (and beyond) create "hidden" editions for each submit event - I don't think creating a named edition will have any effect.
Note however - that TeamSite from a server perspective should be fine with directories that contain more than 500 files - the problem is with the GUI trying to DISPLAY information about a directory that contains more than 500 files.
You might be able to modify some iwcgi settings in the iw.cfg file to limit the number of files shown "per page" in various listings (e.g.: list_page_size)
--fish
Senior Consultant, Quotient Inc.
http://www.quotient-inc.com
fish
I had this issue when upgrading from 4.5 to 5.5.
Once a large number of assets are submitted there is performance degradatiion on the backing store (even after deleting and submitting the deletions - in fact this had a further detrimental effect) this is particularly noticable on the submit event. i.e. once you go over 500 files performance can become an issue even if you get the asset count down to zero in the folder.
The rules are along the lines of - any folder with a very large number of files causes performance issues on that folder and any sub folder.
IW advice was to add the following to iw.cfg
parentmap_blocksize=40
snapshot_debug=true
journal_debug=true
In the end I had to rebuild the branch with lower folder sizes this fixed the performance issues on the backing store.
Steve.
Adam Stoller
Due to the way that TS552 and later handle directories in the backing store (I believe it subdivides directory entries such that, in the backing store, there is never more than something like 256 entries within a directory) - the only issue should be in the GUI.
If this is not the case - then you should definitely open up a case with Support to track this down.
However - having said that - I still believe it's best to try and avoid having more than 500 entries in any one directory and better still if you can keep it below 256.
--fish
Senior Consultant, Quotient Inc.
http://www.quotient-inc.com
Bowker
Did you try renaming the folder and creating a new one with the same name?
Dan Bowker
Northern Trust
Web Publishing Technology
fish
No I did not try that although I suspect it would not work.
The symptoms you are having are identical to ours and we are on Solaris.
The branch rebuild did the job though - I would get some advice from IW things may have changed since we had our problems (approx 2 years ago)
Steve.