Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
Workflow Help
summergs
I need to kick off a workflow (*.wft) using a perl command line. The workflow does nothing but send out a Casual Contributor Email (whose link would take then to an assignment WFT). After the Casual Contributor Email is sent out, the workflow would end so there is no 'User Task' per say. Does anyone know how I can do this?
Thanks!
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
iwovGraduate
A workflow just to send out an email ?
You can do it without a workflow. Why do you want to have a workflow just to send out an email ?
workflow does nothing but send out a Casual Contributor Email (whose link would take then to an assignment WFT).
What exactly you want this link to do ? To start a new assignment workflow ? Point to a task for an existing job/workflow ?
summergs
Thanks for your response. I have thought about sending out email directly from Perl or Oracle, however, I need to do the following:
1. Oracle receives 100's of new projects each night.
2. A Branch and Workarea are created for each project (nightly)
3. I need to send out an email (for EACH project) to the sole Project Administrator so they can use an assignment workflow to assign contrib/approvers to a project. The kicker is I need to pass the project ID's to the assignment workflow as I loop through the records in Step 1.
Any Ideas?
Adam Stoller
Perhaps an iwat trigger on either branch or workarea creation might make more sense than a single-task/email-only workflow ?
--fish
Senior Consultant, Quotient Inc.
http://www.quotient-inc.com
summergs
Can you explain this a little more? Plllllllleeeeeeeeease!
Dwayne
You're creating hundreds of brachnes on a daily basis??? What's the lifespan of these branches?
Anyway, on to your question:
You might want to consider not using an "assign" workflow at all. Why not just have the code that creates the branch and workarea go ahead and instantiate the workflow that you were going to have your user initiate as a result of this email? Let the first task of that workflow be an externaltask to send the email, and the next task be a CGI task that allows the user to choose the assignee.
--
Current project: TS 5.5.2/6.1 W2K
Adam Stoller
Well - how were you planning to trigger the workflow? Rather than trigger a workflow just trigger a script to send the email.
You can look in the CLT manual for information about 'iwat' triggers / trigger scripts - whether or not it makes sense to trigger the script on the creation of the branch / workarea or whether there's a more direct way to trigger it from whatever process you're using to extract information from your DB and put it into TS is up to you to determine.
--fish
Senior Consultant, Quotient Inc.
http://www.quotient-inc.com
summergs
Both ideas are very interesting & just what I need to get me going. Thanks!
iwovGraduate
How are you creating the branches/workareas ? I assume you have a script/some code that does this ?
If so, you can just send an email from that with a link to start a new workflow.
Do the project IDs come from Oracle ? Is there any relation between project ID and branch/workarea name, etc ?
What is your TS version ?