Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
Related Data Types and content reuse
Tim__D
I have defined two data types that I would like to relate Product and Download. They must be separate data types because the data for one download should be able to be used by many products and not entered as part of the product dcr separately. Each product has a product dcr and each download has a download dcr.
I want to be able to relate the product data to the download data in some way "smart" other than typing in links, browsing dcr's in a pulldown etc..
I'm looking for a way to smoothly relate different data from different data types. The interface is aimed at non-technical users.
Any experience or thoughts on this that may help spur my thinking are welcome.
-
- Tim
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
Migrateduser
if u are saving the "product" metadata in the database, why not have an inline callout in the "download" DCT that could build a multiselect or dropdown with values from product?
Tim__D
So then the relationship would be downloads --> products not products --> downlaods?
Would the user then have to choose which products the download relates to from the dropdown perhaps in a replicant?
Currently we are only using metadata for keywords and descriptions for search purposes not anything else.
Adam Stoller
If you're using a controlled vocabulary you might want to investigate the use of MetaTagger and see if you can use it to provide the interface and even automated association of the DCRs. (at least this sounds like an applicable case)
--fish
Senior Consultant, Quotient Inc.
http://www.quotient-inc.com
Tim__D
Can you think of another method that does not use meta-tagger? That sounds more involved than I have time for.
nipper
Hey Tim
Not trivial. We do that. It is not pretty but it does work. This is very specific to your presentation (we have an app server).
We have 4 types of DCRs which match to DB tables. THere are also relationship tables (in your case productdownload). When you
edit a DCR A and want it to link to specific downloads, you click a button that runs a JSP to allow to search, select and save downloads.
The downloads are kept in the DCR and deployed with DataDeploy.
Complex, but works nicely when you complete it.
HTH
Andy
Migrateduser
sorry that 2nd sentence sort of confused me...if the relationship is 1 product to many downloads, im assuming you would have to
1) have the user fill out the all the "download" type dcrs first
2) save more download dcr metadata to the database - i.e. "title" and a unique key
3) have a replicant with an inline database callout in the "product" dcr that lets the user pick an associated download or place all the associated downloads into a single multiselect
you might be able to do something with EAs also.
Tim__D
Is there a limit to what extended attributes you place on a file?
Adam Stoller
Are you asking about the number of EAs or the length of the EAs?
As far as I know there isn't any real limit to the number of EAs - though it's possible that there's a threshhold at which the UI might have some performance problems and theoretically there *might* be a limit - though if there were I'd expect it to be reasonably large (hundreds at least, thousands likely, larger possibly [max-int?])
For the length of the EAs I do believe there is some limit. As I recall there are actually two underlying implementations of EAs (they might have been combined at some point) there were the "old" EAs which I think had a length limit of something like 3096 and then there were the VisualAnnotate EAs that had a significantly larger limitation (I might be mis-remembering and perhaps the "old" ones were something like 256 and the VA ones 3096?).
If you can't find this information in the manuals (I haven't looked) - you should probably file a doc bug with Interwoven Support. Such limitations *should* be documented.
--fish
Senior Consultant, Quotient Inc.
http://www.quotient-inc.com
nipper
It is 4096 characters (Ghoti, time to start doing 2 to the power... if you think 3096 is one)
We run into that once in a while with our implementation.
Andy
Adam Stoller
3096, 4096 - what's 1000 characters between friends? ;-)
--fish
Senior Consultant, Quotient Inc.
http://www.quotient-inc.com