packaged 6.1 install issue
Hi all,
One of the requirements here at CS for going into production with any application is to provide Solaris packages.
Previously, creating a package for Teamsite 5x was relatively straightforward, but with 6.1 major changes were
implemented in the install process. In my previous packages, I developed them by installing the server, and then
capturing the iw-home directory where I moved it to the packaging system and performed many tasks to make
it platform inspecific. Through a series of shell scripts and the Solaris packaging files, I provided platform
specifics though a config file which during postinstall changes the values of parameters to match the
the platform (ip, license key, install location, etc). After the package spools the files to the target dir, I ran
the install script from iw-home/install and redirected in the contents of a file which contained the input to the
install: ./iwinstall < response. This worked very well, and clean installs could be perfomored without ANY input
from the keyboard.
In 6.1 the whole matter changed. The core is delivered in a series of Resource.zip files.
Now, I untar the server provided by IW, and do all my platform magic, and create a package. When the packge
installs, various inputs are parameteritized in a response file like above. But during the postinstall where I run:
./install.sh -i console < response the initial repsponses are accepted (11 pages of legal disclaimer) and some
others. The the install stops and seems to no longer be taking input from the response file.
It seems that possibly the input to the install process has switched from install.sh to another script or binary. This would
stop the hands free install. I am able to continue the install by inputting the values via the keyboard, and the install completes
successfully and Teamsite comes up after a reboot.
If you're still with me, a question for those who may also be packaging 6.1 for Solaris or for Interwoven engineers.
Is my assumption correct ? Does input get "switched" from install.sh to something else ?
Now, there's always as way around problems in UNIX. I noticed in the install.sh script there is a flag which can be used (-f)
to allow silent mode installs. Taking input from a file called install.properties, which can be created by the user and defined with
a valid path in a command like ./install.sh -f /foo/bar/install.properties. I looked into this on the support site and see that an
example is provided. Unfortunately I do not understand many of the values in the example, and it seems that many of the inputs
to the install are not in there. If I don't want samba, can the properties file dictate that ? I'd love to be able to use this functionality as
it closely mimicks by response file solution.
I'd like to hear what Interwoven might say about this, likely they might feel hesitant to comment as this mode of installation
may not be supported, but sorry guys this is the way it works here, and I'm tasked with providing the solution. If any other
UNIX hacks can suggest a better methodology, I'm open to it.
Thanks and Regards,
R.Barger
Credit Suisse Financial Services
Zurich