Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
Java Templates
ccwillia
I am new to Interwove Teamsite development and was wondering if anyone could help me out by providing some basic Java templates. Any help or documentation is appreciated.
Thanks,
CW
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
iwovGraduate
What do you mean by examples of "Java templates" ?
What version of TeamSite are you using ?
If you are talking about examples of Templating, its shipped with the product. See iw-home/examples directory. Also refer to TeamSite Templating Developers Guide.
Adam Stoller
And furthermore ... if you're talking about TeamSite Templating's Java UI - please be aware that it no longer exists and is no longer supported (it was end-of-life'd more than a year ago).
If you mean something different - please clarify.
--fish
Senior Consultant, Quotient Inc.
http://www.quotient-inc.com
ccwillia
I am using TeamSite 5.5.2. I am refering to examples of Templating that use Java instead of CGI (Perl). Can you send me a link to the temasite templating developers guide.
Thanks
iwovGraduate
Still not sure what do you mean by "examples of Templating that use Java instead of CGI (Perl)". Templating forms are CGIs but controlled (mostly) via XML config files. Presentation tempalates are basically XML, but you have an option to include snippets of perl code into it. As ghoti mentioned, there used to be a Java client for Templating - but that product is no longer available or supported. Can you be more specific what exactly you need ?
You can get the Templating Developers Guide at the support Site:
https://support.interwoven.com/library/manuals/templating/pdf/tst.552.dev.pdf
. You need a login to the support site.
Adam Stoller
I assume you are talking about the callout's (e.g. <java-callout .../> vs. <cgi-callout .../>) - if so, then you need to understand that java-callout is *not supported* anymore - it was there for the Java UI version of Templating that enjoyed a somewhat brief life before being put out to pasture. You need to use the cgi-callout form => CGI program - but you can have your CGI program run a JSP (I believe) if you want.
If you can provide a more concrete example / explanation of what you are trying to do - someone here can probably provide a more detailed description / explanation of how to do it.
--fish
Senior Consultant, Quotient Inc.
http://www.quotient-inc.com
ccwillia
I need to do more reading I guess. I appreciate all the help. I will look over the Templating Developers Guide.
Thx
ccwillia
I will try to ask my question again now and see if I can't word it better. Interwoven comes with PERL. You can use PERL to do callouts to make templates more dynamic. I want to know if the same thing can be done with JAVA? Not Javascript I do not want to rely on the users browser. Even in the examples that come with interwoven PERL is used to minuplate where images are displayed.
Thanks,
CW
Gregg Faus
You cannot use Java inside the actual tpl file, but you can definately use Java in a callout. You just need to put your custom code in a place where the servlet daemon can find it and reference it correctly inside your callout item.
I do this quite frequently to render HTML callout forms via XML/XSL.
Adam Stoller
Actually the callouts are done as CGI - and Perl just happens to be one of the more popular languages used for writing CGIi. As such, Interwoven provides some modules like TeamSite::CGI_lite, that facilitate some of the aspects of writing a CGI in Perl - but it isn't absolutely necessary that you write the CGI in Perl.
Unfortunately, not being a proficient Java programmer (and having done virtually no Java programming for over a year) I cannot recall how easy it is to write a CGI program in Java. You might be able to write a simple CGI that in turn invokes a JSP or some such to achieve what you want, but I'm not sure. Someone else with more Java experience will hopefully be able to provide a bit more guidance.
Out of curiosity - what kinds of things are you envisioning these callouts doing that you believe would be better to do in Java than Perl - or is it just that you know Java better than Perl and so would prefer coding in that language? (I can understand that, since I'm biased in favor of Perl largely for that reason)
--fish
Senior Consultant, Quotient Inc.
http://www.quotient-inc.com
ccwillia
Can you give me an example of this? I am new to the templating seen. Does the tpl file have the callout?
Thx,
CW
ccwillia
I am using java as an alternative to perl. I am not that famliar with PERL. I am also trying to find an easier way to create templates. I have tried the dreamweaver plugin, but have had no success yet. What is FormAPI and how does that relate to templating?
Thx,
CW
Adam Stoller
FormAPI is a JavaScript layer that allows for manipulation of the rendered DCT form. It can be used to tie-together multiple fields and/or have certain fields change (become active, inacative, hidden, visible, etc.) based on values chosen in other fields - but it isn't generally used for providing selection lists from DB's or config files and such.
Those are usually done via either inline's or callout's.
Inline scripts are run when the DCT form is first rendered - the responsibility of the inline script is to send specific XML snippets to STDOUT which are then incorporated in place of where the inline directive was located - most often used for things like setting default values and/or selection lists from DBs and config files that don't require any association to other values.
callouts are CGI scripts/programs that are triggered by the end-user via clicking a button to launch the program. These are often used for selections of one type or another - often drawn from DB's and also occasionally adjusted based on values in other fields. Some people also just prefer having a separate, larger window in which to make a selection from; rather than having either a large pop-up single-slection menu or small view into a large multi-select list - and callouts allow you to format this information as desired (and also to apply basic CGI and javascript code as desired)
I still recommend RTFM + Training (not necessarily in that order) for getting up to speed with the various TeamSite features (templating, workflow, etc.)
--fish
Senior Consultant, Quotient Inc.
http://www.quotient-inc.com