Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
Using STRUTS with TeamSite 6.0
mangetak
Hi,
I want to extend the functionality of the TeamSite 6.0 GUI. To do that I want to add new Custom Java code, and create some JSPs.
to develop these JSPs, we want to use a Framework (STRUTS). My question is... Is it possible to use STRUTS with the Apps server (Tomcat) included in TeamSite 6.0? If so, how can I do that in Solaris? I mean, the instalation of STRUTS Framework with the Tomcat Server included in TeamSite 6.0.
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
Migrateduser
No, the struts framework is not included in TeamSite 6.0. In future versions of the UITK, we hope to expose a framework with which you can achieve richer customizations.
I personally wouldn't recommend installing struts on your own to extend the ContentCenter UI. Though technically possible, it's not a good idea to have a single web application (ContentCenter) utilize 2 different frameworks (remember, the "customer" toolkit is not a separate web application from ContentCenter. It's simply a slice of ContentCenter, which utilizes its own framework). You will most likely run into lots of problems.
What kind of extensions do you wish to achieve? If you only have minor extensions in mind (e.g., a few custom servlets or JSPs), a framework might not be necessary.
Michelle Neuringer
Interwoven Engineer
Migrateduser
More shortsightedness on Interwoven's side. Our group has a standard that requires using the STRUTS framework to do any Java development. We do all of our development from our own PCs so we were able to use the CSSDK and STRUTS together. You have to understand that not everyone does development the same way you do over there. Please ask your customers what they are doing before you make assumptions. I created our TeamSite Java UI using STRUTS. Since I didn't have a clue about Java or STRUTS prior to starting the project, one of our Java developers got things up and running for us. So don't ask me how we set it up. To me it was all voodoo.
Dave Smith
Sr. Software Engineer
Nike, Inc.
(503) 671-4238
DavidH.Smith@nike.com
Migrateduser
By all means, you may use Struts (or any framework of your choosing) to build custom Java UIs for TeamSite using CSSDK.
All I'm saying is that at this point, you can't extend the existing ContentCenter UIs by adding custom Struts actions. We are actively keeping this in mind (read: we want this as much as you!) for future releases of the UITK when we expose more layers of the UI framework.
Michelle Neuringer
Interwoven Engineer
Migrateduser
Alright maybe I just misunderstood what you were trying to say. I apologize for that. I should cut down on the caffeine.
Dave Smith
Sr. Software Engineer
Nike, Inc.
(503) 671-4238
DavidH.Smith@nike.com
Gregg Faus
I'm not understanding how this is "shortsightedness" on Interwoven's part. There are so many different frameworks out there some of which aren't easily compatible. It was merely a recommendation not to mix.
I think your standard for STRUTS would only apply to independent project development rather then an integration project such as this. You have to account for existing application architecture.
Migrateduser
The standard is for all Java development, which what we're doing is. Standards are in place for lots of reasons and they make sense. We need to follow ours. What you do is up to you.
Dave Smith
Sr. Software Engineer
Nike, Inc.
(503) 671-4238
DavidH.Smith@nike.com