Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
question with symbolic to staging area
ruler
We have some teamsite custom config files under /iw-home/custom and we are planning to maintain it in teamsite repository and let developers work on them from their workareas somewhat like source control where developer modifies the file and on submitting to staging will get merged etc. But unfortunately I am not able to create a symbolic link to the custom code from the STAGING area.
Has anybody done anything like this, or is there any good way to do it or am I on the right track?
Suggestions and directions will be appreciated.
thx
ruler
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
Dwayne
Which direction are you trying to do the link? It sounds from your description like you're trying to create a symlink in the STAGING area that points to your custom code. If so, then you're right - it won't work. It doesn't even make sense.
But you SHOULD be able to make a symlink in the custom folder, which points to the corresponding file in the STAGING area.
Although, to be honest, I don't know that that is the best way to go. I usually prefer to keep actual files, rather than symlinks, in the TeamSite installation directory, just to be sure we don't get into a "chicken and egg" sort of situation, where you need the files in the IFS in order to access the files in the IFS. I normally create an OpenDeploy deployment to deploy the files from STAGING into the approriate location in the TeamSite installation directory.
--
Current project: TS 5.5.2/6.1 W2K
ruler
Thank you very much for the cool idea. I have one question regarding the suggestion you gave. Is it possible to initiate open deploy each time a file is submitted to the staging are using ether direct submit or submit feature in teamsite.
appreciate your suggestions.
Dwayne
If you need to have it work on a submit direct, then you're basically stuck with using triggers.
However, I recommend disabling submit direct (except MAYBE for masters) and instead have a very simple submit workflow. If it doesn't need any user input, the effect is the same as a submit direct, but you can do things like invoke OD to deploy the files.
In TS6, submit direct is gone, anyway.
--
Current project: TS 5.5.2/6.1 W2K
gzevin
In TS6, submit direct is gone, anyway.
not exactly. it's still there, if one uses WebdeskPro....
Greg Zevin, Ph.D. Comp. Sc.
Independent Interwoven Consultant/Architect
Sydney, AU
Dwayne
In TS6, submit direct is gone, anyway.
not exactly. it's still there, if one uses WebdeskPro....
Thanks. I had forgotten about WDP, and hadn't considered that S-D might still be there. So it would be more technically correct to say that Submit Direct is deprecated in TS 6, and gone in TS 6.5
--
Current project: TS 5.5.2/6.1 W2K
Edited by Dwayne on 09/07/04 05:34 AM (server time).