Discussions
Categories
Groups
Community Home
Categories
INTERNAL ENABLEMENT
POPULAR
PUBLIC CLOUD
PRIVATE CLOUD
Quick Links
MY LINKS
HELPFUL TIPS
Back to website
Home
Web CMS (TeamSite)
autocapture of metadata
iwover88
I'm looking for a way to auto populate the Tagger GUI with metadata we have in an XML file. Keying this in laboriously won't work for us. I'm sure their must be best someone out there who's done this before. We have our metadata in an XML File. If we can drive this through the Workflow, even better.
Ideas ?
Find more posts tagged with
Comments
Ottawa_IWOV
MetaTagger write an XML record to the EA's of a TS assets. As long as your terms aren't coming from recognition of browse only vocabularies, you can easily repoduce this XML document an set it. When the Tagging UI is invoked it will read this file and present the terms in the content of your tagging view.
Tag an example file, and then look at the XML document set on the file. Write a Perl script to manipulate your custom XML doc to match this.
iwover88
Thanks Ottowa -but we don't have Metatagger. Is there another way to manipulate this file?
Thanks!
Ottawa_IWOV
Here is what I would do:
1. Look at the help file for the iwextattr CLT. See if there is an option for setting and getting as XML.
2. Set some metadata on the file
Look at the EA's to see how the key is being set (i.e. Title or Teamsite/Metadata/Title). Dump the metadata with the XMLm feature, this will give you what your XML file should look like.
3. Using some Perl, make your custom XML file look like about with the keys and values you want to set. Pass that XML to iwextattr -s and the vpath to the file.
If you don't have the XML option with iwextattr a little more heavy lifting will be required - but nothing outside the realm of possibility ...
Adam Stoller
You can use the iwextattr CLT to set metadata on assets *before* running the Set Metadata UI - and as long as the EAs you set are consistant with the metadata datacapture.cfg file those fields will then be pre-populated.
If you have an XML file that contains the metadata you want to set - write a script to parse your XML file and then call iwextattr to set it one each file (supposedly in 6.5 [6.x?] iwextattr can take an XML file for use in setting EAs on files)
--fish
Senior Consultant, Quotient Inc.
http://www.quotient-inc.com
reddyl
I just checked in TeamSite 6.5 and iwextattr has a new attribute -x which reads xml from the STDIN or STDOUT, but I could not see if there is way to specify the filename using iwextattr CLT.
Adam Stoller
There were a few recent posts about this:
reference 1
,
follow-up 1
, and
follow-up 2
I'm still waiting to see some better information about this, I'm openning up a case with support since the documentation seems to be lacking right now - if I get more information I'll try to make sure to make it available somewhere in these forums as well.
--fish
Senior Consultant, Quotient Inc.
http://www.quotient-inc.com
iwover88
Thanks for appending the referenced notes Fish. That's very helpful. I look forward to see how support will respond. Another way that I figured we could do this is via CSSDK FileSys CSExtendedAttribute Class which has getters and setters for the metada. I'm looking for a pure Java solution if possible, although what all of you have said with iwextattr should work.
We are basically loading 1000's of images into TS and wanted a way to bulk upload the metadata associated with these images. We can parse the incoming XML using something like castor/bea xml-beans (which we use throughout our app) for the metadata and then write this to to the extended attributes via CSSDK methods above. Or we can apply an XSLT to conver the incoming xml file format to the corresponding XML file format that can be output from iwextattr, although this seems a a bit more complicated.
Look forward to what you guys think. I'm prototyping this now. Anybody foresee any roadblocks?
Thanks to all of you for your inputs.
Regards,
iwover88
http://amikasys.com
Adam Stoller
The Java approach will probably be more efficient than the CLT approach - however, I haven't done any work with the CSSDK / Java so I can't comment on how easy or difficult it will be to acheive what you want. If the CLT accepts XML input, I would imagine that there's a Java method for doing the same ...
I seem to recall that at one point IWOV was talking about implementing a webservice for interacting with EAs -- and that it would use XML for the data (input and output) -- but I don't know if that ever happened.
--fish
Senior Consultant, Quotient Inc.
http://www.quotient-inc.com
screenshot.JPG